Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems sharing a wireless network connection

Problems sharing a wireless network connection

myfamilyhistory@uwclub.net

Problems sharing a wireless network connection

I have had my wireless network setup now for about 18 months with no
problems. (Two machines - one connected via LAN and one wireless).

However, I've introduced two new computers recently and now I've
got problems. Both of these new PC's are using wireless connections,
so I've now got one via Ethernet and 3 wireless devices.

The LAN connected PC works fine (all the time) and so do the wireless
PC's when they are the only device using the wireless connection.
However, as soon as I turn on another of other PC's using their
wireless connection I have problems connecting to the network via that
PC.

It would appear that the first wireless connected PC hogs the wireless
connection and won't allow any other wireless machines to get on to
the network until I turn it off. Then the other machine is allowed on.
(Although the router spec says I can have up to 32 wireless devices
simultaneously)

All the PC's are obtaining their IP address via DNS and are all
unique, so are their MAC addresses.

192.168.2.75 - PC1 (Ethernet)
192.168.2.76 - PC2 (wireless)
192.168.2.77 - PC3 (wireless)
192.168.2.78 - PC4 (wireless)

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on all PC's
The router is a Belkin ADSL Modem/Router F5D7630-UK4A
The main PC is attached to the LAN via an Ethernet connection
PC2 via a Belkin F5D7000 wireless card 802.11g
PC3 via a NetGear PCMCIA MA521 wireless PC Card 802.11b
PC4 via a Zonet Wireless LAN USB Adaptor 802.11b
All PC's are configured to use the network via XP
I'm running WPA-PSK (No-server) encription
I'm running Norton Security on all the PC's
Default gateway is 192.168.2.1
IP pool is set to 192.168.2.75 to 100 (lease time forever)
Connection type is PPPoA
I'm running MAC Address Filtering on the router, but all Mac
addresses are defined

Any help gratefully received, before I pull what remains of my hair out!

Lem

> Problems sharing a wireless network connection
>
> I have had my wireless network setup now for about 18 months with no
> problems. (Two machines - one connected via LAN and one wireless).
>
> However, I've introduced two new computers recently and now I've
> got problems. Both of these new PC's are using wireless connections,
> so I've now got one via Ethernet and 3 wireless devices.
>
> The LAN connected PC works fine (all the time) and so do the wireless
> PC's when they are the only device using the wireless connection.
> However, as soon as I turn on another of other PC's using their
> wireless connection I have problems connecting to the network via that
> PC.
>
> It would appear that the first wireless connected PC hogs the wireless
> connection and won't allow any other wireless machines to get on to
> the network until I turn it off. Then the other machine is allowed on.
> (Although the router spec says I can have up to 32 wireless devices
> simultaneously)
>
> All the PC's are obtaining their IP address via DNS and are all
> unique, so are their MAC addresses.
>
> 192.168.2.75 - PC1 (Ethernet)
> 192.168.2.76 - PC2 (wireless)
> 192.168.2.77 - PC3 (wireless)
> 192.168.2.78 - PC4 (wireless)
>
> I'm running Windows XP SP2 on all PC's
> The router is a Belkin ADSL Modem/Router F5D7630-UK4A
> The main PC is attached to the LAN via an Ethernet connection
> PC2 via a Belkin F5D7000 wireless card 802.11g
> PC3 via a NetGear PCMCIA MA521 wireless PC Card 802.11b
> PC4 via a Zonet Wireless LAN USB Adaptor 802.11b
> All PC's are configured to use the network via XP
> I'm running WPA-PSK (No-server) encription
> I'm running Norton Security on all the PC's
> Default gateway is 192.168.2.1
> IP pool is set to 192.168.2.75 to 100 (lease time forever)
> Connection type is PPPoA
> I'm running MAC Address Filtering on the router, but all Mac
> addresses are defined
>
> Any help gratefully received, before I pull what remains of my hair out!

I recall that earlier models of 802.11(g) routers had problems with
"mixed" (b) and (g) networks. What happens if you turn off PC2 and
configure the router to use 802.11(b) only? If you don't experience
slow-down problems with one wired and two 802.11(b) connections, but
things slow down when you add the 802.11(g) connection into the fray,
you might want to see if there's a firmware update for your router.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

David Hettel

You may wish to read this on using the Network Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5464827

and this on troubleshooting TCP/IP connectivity:

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Problems sharing a wireless network connection
>
> I have had my wireless network setup now for about 18 months with no
> problems. (Two machines - one connected via LAN and one wireless).
>
> However, I've introduced two new computers recently and now I've
> got problems. Both of these new PC's are using wireless connections,
> so I've now got one via Ethernet and 3 wireless devices.
>
> The LAN connected PC works fine (all the time) and so do the wireless
> PC's when they are the only device using the wireless connection.
> However, as soon as I turn on another of other PC's using their
> wireless connection I have problems connecting to the network via that
> PC.
>
> It would appear that the first wireless connected PC hogs the wireless
> connection and won't allow any other wireless machines to get on to
> the network until I turn it off. Then the other machine is allowed on.
> (Although the router spec says I can have up to 32 wireless devices
> simultaneously)
>
> All the PC's are obtaining their IP address via DNS and are all
> unique, so are their MAC addresses.
>
> 192.168.2.75 - PC1 (Ethernet)
> 192.168.2.76 - PC2 (wireless)
> 192.168.2.77 - PC3 (wireless)
> 192.168.2.78 - PC4 (wireless)
>
> I'm running Windows XP SP2 on all PC's
> The router is a Belkin ADSL Modem/Router F5D7630-UK4A
> The main PC is attached to the LAN via an Ethernet connection
> PC2 via a Belkin F5D7000 wireless card 802.11g
> PC3 via a NetGear PCMCIA MA521 wireless PC Card 802.11b
> PC4 via a Zonet Wireless LAN USB Adaptor 802.11b
> All PC's are configured to use the network via XP
> I'm running WPA-PSK (No-server) encription
> I'm running Norton Security on all the PC's
> Default gateway is 192.168.2.1
> IP pool is set to 192.168.2.75 to 100 (lease time forever)
> Connection type is PPPoA
> I'm running MAC Address Filtering on the router, but all Mac
> addresses are defined
>
> Any help gratefully received, before I pull what remains of my hair out!

myfamilyhistory@uwclub.net

Many many thanks. I've simply changed the settings on my router to only
accomodate 802.11b and they all connect fine.

I'll do some digging around to see if a firmware update will resolve
things, but hey, the 802.11g card is the other side of my house and was
only picking up 24mbps anyway. I don't think the mrs will notice the
difference between that and 11mbps !!

Thanks once again for all the posts. Issue resolved and I'll keep
what's left of my hair !