Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connected to public wireless network but can't access internet

Connected to public wireless network but can't access internet

=?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmFH?=

Hi,
I just bought a new loptop with wireless etc but I'm having trouble
connecting to the internet. I am able to connect to a public wireless network
but when I click on internet explorer it gives me all that 'unable to display
page' nonsense. It says I'm not connected but I am! Guessing I need to enable
or configure something but can't work out what.

David Hettel

You may wish to read this on using the Network Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5464827

and this on troubleshooting TCP/IP connectivity:

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"LauraG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I just bought a new loptop with wireless etc but I'm having trouble
> connecting to the internet. I am able to connect to a public wireless
> network
> but when I click on internet explorer it gives me all that 'unable to
> display
> page' nonsense. It says I'm not connected but I am! Guessing I need to
> enable
> or configure something but can't work out what.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Are you sure that you are connected to the Hot Spot.
Seeing the signal does not necessarily mean that you are connected.
You should try a Hotspot that is totally open and make sure that you
Wireless is configured without security.
May be this can Help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).