Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Explorer can't detect wireless connection

Explorer can't detect wireless connection

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBE?=

I just bought a laptop with a 802.1b/g wireless LAN. When it connects to a
wireless netwok at a cafe or school, explorer won't recognize the connection
and keeps trying to bring up mu dial up ISP.
This is all new to me (my last computer was a pentium II, so I'm a bit out
of my league. I want to use the high speed internet at my library. school and
Starbuck's. Does anybody know what might be wrong in my set up.

Thanks

David Hettel

Sounds like you might not really be connected. What makes you believe you
actually are connected? Just because you can find a signal, doesn't mean
that you can connect. I would suggest that you look at your security
settings, and/or get help from the school.

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"Paul D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a laptop with a 802.1b/g wireless LAN. When it connects to a
> wireless netwok at a cafe or school, explorer won't recognize the
> connection
> and keeps trying to bring up mu dial up ISP.
> This is all new to me (my last computer was a pentium II, so I'm a bit out
> of my league. I want to use the high speed internet at my library. school
> and
> Starbuck's. Does anybody know what might be wrong in my set up.
>
> Thanks

David Hettel

You may wish to read this on using the Network Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5464827

and this on troubleshooting TCP/IP connectivity:

David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"David Hettel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like you might not really be connected. What makes you believe you
> actually are connected? Just because you can find a signal, doesn't mean
> that you can connect. I would suggest that you look at your security
> settings, and/or get help from the school.
>
> --
> David Hettel

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights
>

> "Paul D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I just bought a laptop with a 802.1b/g wireless LAN. When it connects to a
>> wireless netwok at a cafe or school, explorer won't recognize the
>> connection
>> and keeps trying to bring up mu dial up ISP.
>> This is all new to me (my last computer was a pentium II, so I'm a bit
>> out
>> of my league. I want to use the high speed internet at my library. school
>> and
>> Starbuck's. Does anybody know what might be wrong in my set up.
>>
>> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"Paul D" wrote:
> I just bought a laptop with a 802.1b/g wireless LAN. When it connects to a
> wireless netwok at a cafe or school, explorer won't recognize the connection
> and keeps trying to bring up mu dial up ISP.
> This is all new to me (my last computer was a pentium II, so I'm a bit out
> of my league. I want to use the high speed internet at my library. school and
> Starbuck's. Does anybody know what might be wrong in my set up.

You really need to read up some starter howto's before you can go wireless.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...lesssetup.mspx

Also note that many public hotspots require that the first thing
you do after connection is to open the browser and try to
navigate to any site. This will open the home page of the
access provider where you need to click thru their
user agreement, or enter your access code if needed.
Only then you can browse freely.

Regards,
--PA