Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Files to save

Files to save

Stubby

Chalky wrote:
> My PC is giving signs of nearing the end of its life after 5 years.What if
> any firefox files should I save to install on new computer if and when it
> comes about.

Let me take a crack at this one.
You can always install the latest Firefox by down loading it from the
net. Each of your users have personal data held in their profiles.
This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

Timo Salmi

Stubby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chalky wrote:
>> What if any firefox files should I save to install on new
>> computer if and when it comes about.

> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

Far too broad for the Firefox transfer

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default

But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

Chalky

--
***************
___,

/ \ Chalky
***************

Arne

Once upon a time *Timo Salmi* wrote:
> Stubby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Chalky wrote:
>>> What if any firefox files should I save to install on new
>>> computer if and when it comes about.

>> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

> Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
>
> But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
>
> All the best, Timo

OT, but I can't help it.
I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can post
replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message.

From: Chalky
Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400

From: Stubby
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400

From: Timo Salmi
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300

Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times?

--
/Arne

Leonidas Jones

Arne wrote:
> Once upon a time *Timo Salmi* wrote:
>> Stubby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

>> Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
>>
>> But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
>>
>> All the best, Timo
>>

> OT, but I can't help it.
> I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can post
> replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message.
>
> From: Chalky
> Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400
>
> From: Stubby
> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400
>
> From: Timo Salmi
> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300
>
> Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times?

Chalky's computer is near the end, and I guess the clock is the first
thing to go!

Lee

Stubby

Arne wrote:
> Once upon a time *Timo Salmi* wrote:
>> Stubby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

>> Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
>>
>> But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
>>
>> All the best, Timo
>>

> OT, but I can't help it.
> I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can post
> replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message.
>
> From: Chalky
> Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400
>
> From: Stubby
> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400
>
> From: Timo Salmi
> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300
>
> Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times?

I believe my clock is set correctly. I use Atomic Clock Sync to set it
once a day from NIST. --Stubby

Ed Mullen

Timo Salmi wrote:
> Stubby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Chalky wrote:
>>> What if any firefox files should I save to install on new computer if
>>> and when it comes about.

>> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application
>> Data

> Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
>
> But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
>
> All the best, Timo

Best to omit the cache from the profile backup as it can be very large.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Timo Salmi

Arne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OT, but I can't help it. I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are
> really clever guys, you can post replies to Chalky a day *before* he
> posted his message.

Besides our obvious cleverness it shows that Chalky's computer's
clock's time is off. If one is running an XP and has a net connection,
it is easy to have the PC periodically to adjust the date/time from a
time server. Alternatively one can use

58736 Sep 5 2002 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/win95/dosshell/cmdtime.zip
cmdtime.zip Synchronize PC clock from Internet servers, fw, J.Gerasimov

In using Thunderbird or some other email/newsreader program it is
sensible to have the computer's date/time set correctly.

Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Timo Salmi wrote:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default

> Best to omit the cache from the profile backup as it can be very
> large.

Quite so. Before such a backup it is good to do two at least things
1) Empty the cache
2) Exit Firefox

Personally I use WZZIP to zip my profile on my backups (with paths
included). It is relatively easy to write a CLI (command line interface)
script that routinely omits adding the cache into the zip file.

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
Useful script files and tricks ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip

Ian Whyte

This one posted with Outlook express which I do not use.
"Chalky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:y9cXg.53007$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Arne wrote:

> >> OT, but I can't help it.
> >> I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can
> >> post replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message.
> >>
> >> From: Chalky
> >> Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400
> >>
> >> From: Stubby
> >> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400
> >>
> >> From: Timo Salmi
> >> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300
> >>
> >> Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times?

> > Chalky's computer is near the end, and I guess the clock is the

first
> > thing to go!
> >
> > Lee
> >

> My clock is perfect, I also use an Atomic clock.The time and date put

on