Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Connection Drops after 5 minutes

Wireless Connection Drops after 5 minutes

=?Utf-8?B?a29vbGVy?=

Hi,

My setup is as follows
1) Router - 2WIRE
2) PC Desktop with D-link G132 USB Adapter with XP Pro SP1
3) Macbook

I recently purchased the USB Adapter and followed procedure to install. I
use WEP and can see the SSID of my router. However, the USB Adapter loses
connection after 5 minutes and i have removed the IEEE authentication but to
no avail.

Sometimes when i launch XP, it works but after awhile, it drops and nobody
can help me figure it out. The whole time however, the laptop works and
connection strength is 98% with the pc about a feet away. The router is in
another room.

I have installed the latest drivers so dont know what else to do..please
help. much thanks.

David Hettel

I am confused. You say you have a wireless router, this would be in
Infrastructure mode, or Computer to router mode. You also say I think, that
your laptop remains connected to the Desktop. Well both the desktop and the
macbook should be talking to the router, neither the desktop or the macbook
should be talking to each other. Computer to computer mode is call ad-hoc
and is not compatible with infrastructure mode. If you loose the connection
to the router, you can not talk to the other computer.

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"kooler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My setup is as follows
> 1) Router - 2WIRE
> 2) PC Desktop with D-link G132 USB Adapter with XP Pro SP1
> 3) Macbook
>
> I recently purchased the USB Adapter and followed procedure to install. I
> use WEP and can see the SSID of my router. However, the USB Adapter loses
> connection after 5 minutes and i have removed the IEEE authentication but
> no avail.
>
> Sometimes when i launch XP, it works but after awhile, it drops and nobody
> can help me figure it out. The whole time however, the laptop works and
> connection strength is 98% with the pc about a feet away. The router is in
> another room.
>
> I have installed the latest drivers so dont know what else to do..please
> help. much thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?a29vbGVy?=

hi david, thanks for replying.
Actually i may not have been clear.
What i was trying to say is that the desktop is in the bedroom and this is
where my laptop is as well. They are not connected to each other.

The wireless router is in the living room.

"David Hettel" wrote:

> I am confused. You say you have a wireless router, this would be in
> Infrastructure mode, or Computer to router mode. You also say I think, that
> your laptop remains connected to the Desktop. Well both the desktop and the
> macbook should be talking to the router, neither the desktop or the macbook
> should be talking to each other. Computer to computer mode is call ad-hoc
> and is not compatible with infrastructure mode. If you loose the connection
> to the router, you can not talk to the other computer.
>
> --
> David Hettel

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights
>

> "kooler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My setup is as follows
> > 1) Router - 2WIRE
> > 2) PC Desktop with D-link G132 USB Adapter with XP Pro SP1
> > 3) Macbook
> >
> > I recently purchased the USB Adapter and followed procedure to install. I
> > use WEP and can see the SSID of my router. However, the USB Adapter loses
> > connection after 5 minutes and i have removed the IEEE authentication but
> > no avail.
> >
> > Sometimes when i launch XP, it works but after awhile, it drops and nobody
> > can help me figure it out. The whole time however, the laptop works and
> > connection strength is 98% with the pc about a feet away. The router is in
> > another room.
> >
> > I have installed the latest drivers so dont know what else to do..please
> > help. much thanks.

David Hettel

Yes I understood, that both computers are in the same room, and the wireless
router is in a different room. The part I was having trouble with was, "The
whole time however, the laptop works and connection strength is 98% with the
pc about a feet away. "

It originally sounded like you where saying the two computers remain
connected together, while one losses the connection to the router to me.

So are you trying to say that you bought the USB adapter for the desktop,
and the desktop looses a connection to the router, while the laptop keeps a
connection to the router, and both are right next to each other?

Is this a USB 2,0 port or an older USB 1.x port? Is the device a 802.11b or
a 802.11g device? Is it directly connected to the computer, or connected to
a hub and then the computer. Any other USB devices connected to the
computer.

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"kooler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> hi david, thanks for replying.
> Actually i may not have been clear.
> What i was trying to say is that the desktop is in the bedroom and this is
> where my laptop is as well. They are not connected to each other.
>
> The wireless router is in the living room.
>
> "David Hettel" wrote:
>
>> I am confused. You say you have a wireless router, this would be in
>> Infrastructure mode, or Computer to router mode. You also say I think,
>> that
>> your laptop remains connected to the Desktop. Well both the desktop and
>> the
>> macbook should be talking to the router, neither the desktop or the
>> macbook
>> should be talking to each other. Computer to computer mode is call ad-hoc
>> and is not compatible with infrastructure mode. If you loose the
>> connection
>> to the router, you can not talk to the other computer.
>>
>> --
>> David Hettel
>>
>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers no rights
>>

>> "kooler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My setup is as follows
>> > 1) Router - 2WIRE
>> > 2) PC Desktop with D-link G132 USB Adapter with XP Pro SP1
>> > 3) Macbook
>> >
>> > I recently purchased the USB Adapter and followed procedure to install.
>> > use WEP and can see the SSID of my router. However, the USB Adapter
>> > loses
>> > connection after 5 minutes and i have removed the IEEE authentication
>> > but
>> > no avail.
>> >
>> > Sometimes when i launch XP, it works but after awhile, it drops and
>> > nobody
>> > can help me figure it out. The whole time however, the laptop works and
>> > connection strength is 98% with the pc about a feet away. The router is
>> > in
>> > another room.
>> >
>> > I have installed the latest drivers so dont know what else to
>> > do..please
>> > help. much thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?a29vbGVy?=

thanks david.

The desktop has a pci card with 4x usb2.0. The USB Adapter is a Dlink G132
802.11g, 108Mbps speed which is connected directly to the computer with an
extension cradle.

At the moment, there are no other USB devices connected.

How long should a device be connected? Is there a need to rest it? i know
silly question...

but thanks for the help

"David Hettel" wrote:

> Yes I understood, that both computers are in the same room, and the wireless
> router is in a different room. The part I was having trouble with was, "The
> whole time however, the laptop works and connection strength is 98% with the
> pc about a feet away. "
>
> It originally sounded like you where saying the two computers remain
> connected together, while one losses the connection to the router to me.
>
> So are you trying to say that you bought the USB adapter for the desktop,
> and the desktop looses a connection to the router, while the laptop keeps a
> connection to the router, and both are right next to each other?
>
> Is this a USB 2,0 port or an older USB 1.x port? Is the device a 802.11b or
> a 802.11g device? Is it directly connected to the computer, or connected to
> a hub and then the computer. Any other USB devices connected to the
> computer.
>
> --
> David Hettel

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights
>

> "kooler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > hi david, thanks for replying.
> > Actually i may not have been clear.
> > What i was trying to say is that the desktop is in the bedroom and this is
> > where my laptop is as well. They are not connected to each other.
> >
> > The wireless router is in the living room.
> >
> > "David Hettel" wrote:
> >
> >> I am confused. You say you have a wireless router, this would be in
> >> Infrastructure mode, or Computer to router mode. You also say I think,
> >> that
> >> your laptop remains connected to the Desktop. Well both the desktop and
> >> the
> >> macbook should be talking to the router, neither the desktop or the
> >> macbook
> >> should be talking to each other. Computer to computer mode is call ad-hoc
> >> and is not compatible with infrastructure mode. If you loose the
> >> connection
> >> to the router, you can not talk to the other computer.
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Hettel
> >>
> >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> >> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> >> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
> >>
> >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> >> confers no rights
> >>

> >> "kooler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?a29vbGVy?=

Hi, can anyone help please??