Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > winlogon.exe error and lots of program crashes

winlogon.exe error and lots of program crashes

jamesuk1981 jamesuk1981 is offline
Junior Member

Hello forum

The problem started when I booted my PC to find the message "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\system32\config\system"

I tried to reboot using the XP CD but got stuck at the recovery page not knowing what to type in, so turned PC off. When I got back the next day, XP loaded fine - and does continue to load, but I am now getting an error report each time on startup saying "winlogon.exe needed to close" When I run an error report to send to Microsoft I get a webpage pop up from Microsoft saying it is a fault with a harddrive and to type in EVENTVWR in the run box to try and find what application is causing the problem. I do this, but the Event Viewer that is supposed to load cant open and causes yet another error report.

I tried to do a system restore but that crashes, causing YET ANOTHER error report. Everytime I turn the PC on, the welcome music is very juddery and everything seems quite slow.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

James