Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Not much hope

Not much hope

sidcliffe

for me, as I'm a very old newbie,but here's hoping!

Main PC - Win XP Home - Athlone XP 2200 -1.0 GB RAM
Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.

LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal strength.
Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop shows
"The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the
internet connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
correct internet connection.

Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped working,
but I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.

HELP!!

sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

Lem

sidcliffe wrote:
> for me, as I'm a very old newbie,but here's hoping!
>
> Main PC - Win XP Home - Athlone XP 2200 -1.0 GB RAM
> Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.
>
> LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal strength.
> Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop shows
> "The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the
> internet connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
> Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
> correct internet connection.
>
> Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped working,
> but I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.
>
> HELP!!
>
> sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

It's not clear from your post, but it sounds as if your main pc is
connected to a router via Ethernet and the laptop connects via wireless.

If that's so, the first thing to check is whether you're really
connected to what you think you are. Regardless of the signal strength,
when you hover the mouse over the wireless network icon, does it say
that you are connected to your SSID? And did you change the SSID of
your router to a non-default value?

Also see, http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 3-Oct-2006, "sidcliffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
> correct internet connection.

Trying ipconfig /all on working, and not working, then comparing results
is usually a good starting point.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
then use ipconfig /all <CR>
or if you want the output in a file
ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt <CR>
and you should then have ipconfig.txt in your root C:\ drive.
Both machines should show the same Gateway, DHCP servers,
and IP address range (the bit starting 10.0.0.nnn) etc
If one m/c starts 10.0.0.nnn then the other should start with a 10.0.0.nnn
with the last nnn different.
Stuff like
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

David Hettel

IP address in the 10.XXX.XXX.XXX and in the 192.168.XXX.XXX ranges are what
I would expect, with the 192.168.xxx.xxx the most likely range. And IP
address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range an indication that the computer is not
connected to the access point. Where XXX can be any number between 1 and 254

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 3-Oct-2006, "sidcliffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
>> correct internet connection.

> Trying ipconfig /all on working, and not working, then comparing results
> is usually a good starting point.
> Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
> then use ipconfig /all <CR>
> or if you want the output in a file
> ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt <CR>
> and you should then have ipconfig.txt in your root C:\ drive.
> Both machines should show the same Gateway, DHCP servers,
> and IP address range (the bit starting 10.0.0.nnn) etc
> If one m/c starts 10.0.0.nnn then the other should start with a
> 10.0.0.nnn
> with the last nnn different.
> Stuff like
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138

David Hettel

It sounds to me as if you are not connected to the network on the laptop.
If you go | Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all [Enter] |
what values are you getting for the IP address and Gateway? Does the LAN
adapter IP address begins with 169.254.xxx.xxx?

There is an very good trouble shooter for network problems on this page, try
working through the page; http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"sidcliffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> for me, as I'm a very old newbie,but here's hoping!
>
> Main PC - Win XP Home - Athlone XP 2200 -1.0 GB RAM
> Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.
>
> LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal strength.
> Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop shows
> "The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the internet
> connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
> Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate correct
> internet connection.
>
> Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped working, but
> I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.
>
> HELP!!
>
> sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

andreasl33@gmail.com

when you got an ip of 169.254.x.x, that's mean your computer can't
connect to LAN, so it's giving you a private ip address of 169.254.x.x
this would be caused by registry crash. here's how to fix it:
click start > run > regedit > browse to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ > delete the folders winsock
and winsock 2 > restart your computer. Then start > control pannel >
network connection > tools > folder options > view tab > ensure that
show hidden files and folders is selected > ok. Right click on local
area connection then click on propertys > install > protocal > have
disk > browse > browse to the c:\windows\inf folder > find the file
called nettcpip.inf > click open > ok > choose tcp/ip then click ok >
close out of propertys and network connections > restart your computer.

and also there's a good article about it at
http://slees.net/2006/09/25/ip-169254xx/

David Hettel wrote:

> It sounds to me as if you are not connected to the network on the laptop.
> If you go | Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all [Enter] |
> what values are you getting for the IP address and Gateway? Does the LAN
> adapter IP address begins with 169.254.xxx.xxx?
>
> There is an very good trouble shooter for network problems on this page, try
> working through the page; http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> --
> David Hettel

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights
>
> "sidcliffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > for me, as I'm a very old newbie,but here's hoping!
> >
> > Main PC - Win XP Home - Athlone XP 2200 -1.0 GB RAM
> > Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.
> >
> > LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal strength.
> > Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop shows
> > "The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the internet
> > connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
> > Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate correct
> > internet connection.
> >
> > Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped working, but
> > I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.
> >
> > HELP!!
> >
> > sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

sidcliffe

David,
I am trying hard to absorb all the advice given but keep getting lost
somewhere.
-I must mention I'm ("four score and hoping for more!")-

Here's some of my info. perhaps we can go step by step from there.
Router is a D-Link DSL-G624T with Ethernet cable to Main PC.

MAIN PC --
1.ipconfig /all- showed under "
:-IP Address ...192.168.x.x
The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar show " Local Area
Connection-Speed 100Mbps-Status Connected"
As I have said there is no problem connecting the Main PC to the
Internet.

LAPTOP--
1.When I entered :- Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all
among the mass of info. under "Connection"I found:-
IP Address ...192.168.x.x ( I assume giving full address is not
advisable)
2.Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2
Description - Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet --
3..The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar state " Local Area
Connection2- A network cable is unplugged"
4.There is also a single small monitor icon (showing waves)which
states
"Wireless Network Connection-Speed 54.0 Mbps-Signal strength
Excellent-Status Connected

Is any of this relevant to you, in helping me ?

sidcliffe

David Hettel wrote:

> It sounds to me as if you are not connected to the network on the
> laptop.
> If you go | Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all
> [Enter] |
> what values are you getting for the IP address and Gateway? Does the
> LAN
> adapter IP address begins with 169.254.xxx.xxx?
>
> There is an very good trouble shooter for network problems on this
> page,
> try
> working through the page; http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> --
> David Hettel

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights
>
> "sidcliffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > for me, as I'm a very old newbie,but here's hoping!
> >
> > Main PC - Win XP Home - Athlone XP 2200 -1.0 GB RAM
> > Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.
> >
> > LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal
> > strength.
> > Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop
> > shows
> > "The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the
> > internet
> > connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
> > Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
> > correct
> > internet connection.
> >
> > Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped
> > working,
> > but
> > I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.
> >
> > HELP!!
> >
> > sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> [...]

>> > Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.
>> >
>> > LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal
>> > strength.
>> > Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop
>> > shows
>> > "The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the
>> > internet
>> > connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
>> > Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
>> > correct
>> > internet connection.
>> >
>> > Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped
>> > working, but
>> > I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home
>> > setup.
>> >
>> > HELP!!
>> >
>> > sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

Seems to me you've got something funny going on. I believe from the name
that the Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet is a 10/100 NIC and not
your wireless NIC. So if you have the laptop plugged into the router by wire
this would make sense, if it's not, and I'm right in thinking that the
Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet is a hi-speed wired NIC, then
this is not good.

When you did the ipconfig /all I believe something should have come up as
Wireless Network connection with something like what I have below listed
under it.

This is the icon for your wireless network;
There is also a single small monitor icon (showing waves)which
states
"Wireless Network Connection- is there a name here?
Speed 54.0 Mbps-
Signal strength Excellent-
Status Connected"

If you right click on it and then click on Open Network Connections, how
many icons do you see under LAN or High-Speed Internet? What are the names.

If I am going to fast, or I am not making sense please ask and I'll try to
explain better, or why I am asking what I am asking.

--

sidcliffe wrote:
> David,
> I am trying hard to absorb all the advice given but keep getting lost
> somewhere.
> -I must mention I'm ("four score and hoping for more!")-
>
> Here's some of my info. perhaps we can go step by step from there.
> Router is a D-Link DSL-G624T with Ethernet cable to Main PC.
>
> MAIN PC --
> 1.ipconfig /all- showed under "
> :-IP Address ...192.168.x.x
> The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar show " Local Area
> Connection-Speed 100Mbps-Status Connected"
> As I have said there is no problem connecting the Main PC to the
> Internet.
>
> LAPTOP--
> 1.When I entered :- Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all
> among the mass of info. under "Connection"I found:-
> IP Address ...192.168.x.x ( I assume giving full address is not
> advisable)
> 2.Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2
> Description - Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet --
> 3..The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar state " Local Area
> Connection2- A network cable is unplugged"
> 4.There is also a single small monitor icon (showing waves)which
> states
> "Wireless Network Connection-Speed 54.0 Mbps-Signal strength
> Excellent-Status Connected
>
> Is any of this relevant to you, in helping me ?
>
> sidcliffe

You're getting there.

First of all, it doesn't hurt to give the full IP address. IP addresses
beginning 192.168.x.x are local to your own network -- nobody on the
other side of the router (i.e., the Internet) can see these addresses.
-- and everyone with a router has the same (or similar) local addresses
(a bit of an exaggeration, but not much).

Second, and more importantly for your issue, what you need to do is
determine what wireless network you are connected to. The fact that
your laptop shows an IP address of 192.168.x.x establishes that your
laptop is indeed connected to a router, but the question is, is it yours
or someone else's?

BTW, the output from ipconfig /all on your laptop should have shown
__two__ adapters. The "Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet" is a
wired adapter, just like the one in your main pc. There should be an
entry under this heading that says something like "media disconnected."
Your second adapter is your wifi adapter, and I hope that it's under
this second adapter that you found the 192.168.x.x IP address.

The message in your notification area that says "Local Area
Connection2- A network cable is unplugged" just reflects the fact that
the Realtek RTL adapter in your laptop is not connected via Ethernet
cable to anything. The other message -- for the icon with the "waves"
is the wireless connection. But it should tell you the NAME of the
network to which you are connected. I don't have a wireless adapter
here, and I forget if you right click and select "status" or double
click, but try to get to the "Wireless network connection status"
dialog. It should look like this:
http://www.screenshots.modemhelp.net.../General.shtml

What's important now is the second line. That is, what is shown in the
figure linked above as "NETGEAR". Is this the same thing you named your
network when you set up your router? If you don't remember, here's how
to find out:

1. Go to your main computer and open a web browser.
2. [You said you have a D-Link DSL-G624T; did you mean DSL-G604T? I
can't find a DSL-G624T on the D-Link site] Enter 192.168.1.1 in the
address bar and click Go.
3. Login to your router. The default User ID is admin and the default
password is admin.
4. Click on the "Wireless" button. You should see a window across from
the heading "SSID". This is the name of your network. If you haven't
done so already, you should change this to something unique (but not
your last name) and click "apply."
5. This is also the place where you set up your wireless security, but
let's leave that for next time.
6. Once you have confirmed or remembered your SSID, you can tell if the
network to which you were connected was yours or a nearby neighbor's.

--
Lem -- To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
MS-MVP

sidcliffe

Thanks David, I feel we might be making progress.
LAPTOP
Wireless Network Connection- is there a name here==
YES it is .. KM_Wireless
LAN or High-Speed Internet? What are the names
They read across as follows :-
1.Local Area Connection 2 - LAN or High-Speed Internet -Network cable
unplugged -Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

2.1394 Connection - LAN or High-Speed Internet - Connected - 1394 Net
Adapter

3.Wireless Network Connection -LAN or High-Speed
Internet -Connected -Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
MAIN PC
1.Local Area Connection - LAN or High-Speed Internet -Connected -VIA
Rhine 11 Fast Ethernet Adapter.

This is the only line in the Main PC Network Connections

Still with hope , and thanks

Sidcliffe

news:Oe$(E-Mail Removed)...