Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 17xx

Damian

i have router with one configuration, and
i need make another one, but machine is remotly
administarted and i want to backup myself
can i make two startup_scripts and switch
between one and 2?

merv.hrabi@rogers.com

what are you trying to accomplish ???

do answer your question, the deafult configuration file loaded is named
startup-config aand is stored in nvram

you can set a boot variable called CONFIG_FILE

#sh boot
BOOT variable =
sup-bootflash:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12;slot0:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-8b.E9.bin
Configuration register is 0x2102

so you could modify the current config and save it to NVRAM with the
follwoing command; notice the number 2 after startup

copy system:running-config nvram:startup2-config

you set the CONFI_FILE boot variable with the following config command

Router(config)# boot config <dest-flash-url>

so

boot config nvram:startup2-config

see Cisco doc:

http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800ca739.html
BE CAREFUL as your router is remote !!!

Lars Molstad

What you could do, is ftp or tftp the new script into the router flash, and
copy this file to nvram, like copy flash:new-config.txt startup-config
Also remember to back up your original startup-config...
I think this would do the trick...

L@rs

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> what are you trying to accomplish ???
>
> do answer your question, the deafult configuration file loaded is named
> startup-config aand is stored in nvram
>
> you can set a boot variable called CONFIG_FILE
>
> #sh boot
> BOOT variable =
> sup-bootflash:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12;slot0:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12
> CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
> BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-8b.E9.bin
> Configuration register is 0x2102
>

> so you could modify the current config and save it to NVRAM with the
> follwoing command; notice the number 2 after startup
>
> copy system:running-config nvram:startup2-config
>

> you set the CONFI_FILE boot variable with the following config command
>
> Router(config)# boot config <dest-flash-url>
>
> so
>
> boot config nvram:startup2-config
>

> see Cisco doc:
>
> http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800ca739.html
> BE CAREFUL as your router is remote !!!

Vincent C Jones

In article <0OrKd.6412$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lars Molstad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What you could do, is ftp or tftp the new script into the router flash, and
>copy this file to nvram, like copy flash:new-config.txt startup-config
>Also remember to back up your original startup-config...
>I think this would do the trick...
>
>L@rs
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> what are you trying to accomplish ???
>>
>> do answer your question, the deafult configuration file loaded is named
>> startup-config aand is stored in nvram
>>
>> you can set a boot variable called CONFIG_FILE
>>
>> #sh boot
>> BOOT variable =
>> sup-bootflash:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12;slot0:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12
>> CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
>> BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-8b.E9.bin
>> Configuration register is 0x2102
>>
>> http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800ca739.html
>> BE CAREFUL as your router is remote !!!

The safe way to do these changes is as follows:

copy run start ! make sure you have a valid startup configuration
reload in 15 ! or however many minutes you're willing to be down
copy tftp run ! make the changes to the running configuration
! test test test
reload cancel ! OK, we survived the changes and like the results
copy run start ! make the new configuration permanent

That way, if things go wrong, you will get your router back with the old
configuration when it reloads itself. Never, ever, copy a new startup
configuration directly to a remote router until you are absolutely sure
it is functional enough to keep you in control.

Note that it can be difficult to write the config changes so that
communications are maintained throughout the tftp transfer, and
there are some changes which can only be made with a reboot. But if
you don't like to hop on airplanes while the bosses are haranging
you about downtime, its worth the effort One thing to consider is
breaking up the changes into a series of changes, and making them one at
a time. Just remember that using file transfer rather than the command
line allows you to apply multiple changes at once, including "atomic"
replacement of access lists.

Good luck and have fun!
http://www.networkingunlimited.com

Peter

Hi Vincent,

> The safe way to do these changes is as follows:
>
> copy run start ! make sure you have a valid startup configuration
> reload in 15 ! or however many minutes you're willing to be down
> copy tftp run ! make the changes to the running configuration
> ! test test test
> reload cancel ! OK, we survived the changes and like the results
> copy run start ! make the new configuration permanent
>
> That way, if things go wrong, you will get your router back with the old
> configuration when it reloads itself. Never, ever, copy a new startup
> configuration directly to a remote router until you are absolutely sure
> it is functional enough to keep you in control.
>
> Note that it can be difficult to write the config changes so that
> communications are maintained throughout the tftp transfer, and
> there are some changes which can only be made with a reboot.

Are you aware of a Cisco Web page that specifically discusses the
pros/cons of using "copy tftp run" for configuration change? I guess I
am looking for a list of those things that might not work quite as
expected when done this way...

Thanks..............pk.

Vincent C Jones

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi Vincent,
>
>> The safe way to do these changes is as follows:
>>
>> copy run start ! make sure you have a valid startup configuration
>> reload in 15 ! or however many minutes you're willing to be down
>> copy tftp run ! make the changes to the running configuration
>> ! test test test
>> reload cancel ! OK, we survived the changes and like the results
>> copy run start ! make the new configuration permanent
>>
>> That way, if things go wrong, you will get your router back with the old
>> configuration when it reloads itself. Never, ever, copy a new startup
>> configuration directly to a remote router until you are absolutely sure
>> it is functional enough to keep you in control.
>>
>> Note that it can be difficult to write the config changes so that
>> communications are maintained throughout the tftp transfer, and
>> there are some changes which can only be made with a reboot.

>Are you aware of a Cisco Web page that specifically discusses the
>pros/cons of using "copy tftp run" for configuration change? I guess I
>am looking for a list of those things that might not work quite as
>expected when done this way...

No, I am not aware of any such page at this time. Perhaps someone
else has some pointers and will chime in.

http://www.networkingunlimited.com