Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Polaroid DRM-2001G

Polaroid DRM-2001G

Citizen Bob

Does anyone have this unit? Comments, please. WalMart has it for $220.

I am particularly interested to know if it will play AVI XviD files. I
believe it will play AVI DivX files, but I have not seen anything
explicit about XviD.

--

Govt is an insult to human dignity. With or without govt,
you would have good people doing good things and evil

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Does anyone have this unit? Comments, please. WalMart has it for $220.
>
>I am particularly interested to know if it will play AVI XviD files. I
>believe it will play AVI DivX files, but I have not seen anything
>explicit about XviD.

Here is Polaroids support page
http://tinylink.com/?uP7wbdJcYG

Heres the user manual
http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/te...2001g_fa37.pdf

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorder...=Search&list=1

Citizen Bob

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:11:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
wrote:

>Here is Polaroids support page
>http://tinylink.com/?uP7wbdJcYG

That link has changed. It's now "digipills".

>Heres the user manual
>http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/te...2001g_fa37.pdf

Vague mention of MPG4 but nothing explicit about DivX or XviD.

>http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorder...=Search&list=1

XviD is not checked off. DivX is. Is it possible to have DivX support
but not XviD?

I found out that the parts for this unit are from Philips, just like
the Cyberhome unit. A friend bought a Philips a few years ago and had
to send it to the shop for repairs 4 times, all after the warranty ran
out. He finally shitcanned it and got a LiteOn, which has worked out
quite good for him.

--

wrote:

>Heres the user manual
>http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/te...2001g_fa37.pdf

>http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorder...=Search&list=1

After having surveyed the offerings available for hard disk DVDRs that
play MPEG4, I am disgusted with the whole thing. It's all just a bunch
of cheap crap, some of it with a not-so cheap price tag. Hopefully
having the hard disk will relieve the wear and tear on the DVD
assembly, but then there is no guarantee that the hard drive assembly
will hold up.

I am about two steps from just building my own unit based on personal
computer components. The one thing that stops me is the lack of a
reliable operating system that supports two channel TV recording
simultaneously for shows that are on at the same time.

If anyone knows of any resources for making PC-based unit, please let
me know. In the meantime, I may just get that Polaroid DRM-2001G along
with an extended warranty from WalMart. I have not found anything
better for the price. Maybe Philips got the bugs out by now. They are
the GE and Matsushita of Europe so they must be doing something right.

--

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:11:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
>wrote:
>
>>Heres the user manual
>>http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/te...2001g_fa37.pdf

>>http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorder...=Search&list=1

>After having surveyed the offerings available for hard disk DVDRs that
>play MPEG4, I am disgusted with the whole thing. It's all just a bunch
>of cheap crap, some of it with a not-so cheap price tag. Hopefully
>having the hard disk will relieve the wear and tear on the DVD
>assembly, but then there is no guarantee that the hard drive assembly
>will hold up.
>
>I am about two steps from just building my own unit based on personal
>computer components. The one thing that stops me is the lack of a
>reliable operating system that supports two channel TV recording
>simultaneously for shows that are on at the same time.
>
>If anyone knows of any resources for making PC-based unit, please let
>me know. In the meantime, I may just get that Polaroid DRM-2001G along
>with an extended warranty from WalMart. I have not found anything
>better for the price. Maybe Philips got the bugs out by now. They are
>the GE and Matsushita of Europe so they must be doing something right.

Take a look at MythTV, you could pick up a couple of low cost HDTV tuner cards
from Ebay and use it with Myth and basically have a Tivo like setup on your
computer capable of recording in HDTV and burning to DVD.

http://www.mythtvtalk.com/mythtv.php

Citizen Bob

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:39:50 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
wrote:

>Take a look at MythTV,

Thanks for the heads up but I do not run Linux. I do know BSD but I
don't care to get into Linux. I have too much to do.

I found some good resources for the Polaroid unit. It turns out to be
a Philips DVDR3455/37 that W-M is selling for $300 - it has a 160 GB
drive and maybe a USB connector.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....roid+drm-2001g
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675487

The comments are generally favorable, largely because of the low
price. I am still trying to find out if the unit will play XviD AVIs,
but no one seems to know.

--

wrote:

>Take a look at MythTV, you could pick up a couple of low cost HDTV tuner cards
>from Ebay and use it with Myth and basically have a Tivo like setup on your
>computer capable of recording in HDTV and burning to DVD.

>http://www.mythtvtalk.com/mythtv.php

On another forum there is this:

+++
Wiley's ExtremeTech series has released a new MythTV title, Hacking
MythTV by Jarod Wilson et al.

Roll up your sleeves and get ready to build your own HD-DVR with
MythTV. Our experts not only guide you through building your own
MythTV box, but let you in on all the little secrets, tricks and hacks
that make it look and work the way you want it to. Coverage includes:

Choosing the right hardware for the job - including HD capture cards
Working with 5.1 surround sound and optical audio outputs
Optimizing HDTV playback
Tweaks and hacks for various capture cards
Hacking MythTV themes
Using xine to add DVD menu support
Widescreen HDTV tweaks
Hacking the remote power button to reset MythTV's frontend
Exporting MythTV's .nuv recordings into other formats
Performance hacks

and more...

The complete outline and a sample chapter, as well as information on
the other books in the ExtremeTech series is available at
http://www.wiley.com/go/extremetech

Hacking MythTV
Jarod Wilson, Ed Tittel, Matthew Wright, Justin Korelc
ISBN: 0-470-03787-3
Paperback
432 pages

Available at bookstores everywhere and online retailers like
amazon.com
+++

--

Govt is an insult to human dignity. With or without govt,
you would have good people doing good things and evil
people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
things, that takes govt. Govt is the root of all evil.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:39:50 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
>wrote:
>
>>Take a look at MythTV,

>Thanks for the heads up but I do not run Linux. I do know BSD but I
>don't care to get into Linux. I have too much to do.
>
>I found some good resources for the Polaroid unit. It turns out to be
>a Philips DVDR3455/37 that W-M is selling for $300 - it has a 160 GB
>drive and maybe a USB connector.
>
>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....roid+drm-2001g
>http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675487
>
>The comments are generally favorable, largely because of the low
>price. I am still trying to find out if the unit will play XviD AVIs,
>but no one seems to know.

I cant remember if it was you or someone else who bought a LiteOn a while back
and was angry that it couldnt record to HD and playback a DVD at the same
time? Well it looks like the Philips/Polaroid unit can.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:39:50 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
>wrote:
>
>>Take a look at MythTV, you could pick up a couple of low cost HDTV tuner cards

>>from Ebay and use it with Myth and basically have a Tivo like setup on your
>>computer capable of recording in HDTV and burning to DVD.

>>http://www.mythtvtalk.com/mythtv.php

>On another forum there is this:
>
>+++
>Wiley's ExtremeTech series has released a new MythTV title, Hacking
>MythTV by Jarod Wilson et al.
>
>Roll up your sleeves and get ready to build your own HD-DVR with
>MythTV. Our experts not only guide you through building your own
>MythTV box, but let you in on all the little secrets, tricks and hacks
>that make it look and work the way you want it to. Coverage includes:
>
>Choosing the right hardware for the job - including HD capture cards
>Working with 5.1 surround sound and optical audio outputs
>Optimizing HDTV playback
>Tweaks and hacks for various capture cards
>Hacking MythTV themes
>Using xine to add DVD menu support
>Widescreen HDTV tweaks
>Hacking the remote power button to reset MythTV's frontend
>Exporting MythTV's .nuv recordings into other formats
>Performance hacks
>
>and more...
>
>The complete outline and a sample chapter, as well as information on
>the other books in the ExtremeTech series is available at
>http://www.wiley.com/go/extremetech
>
>Hacking MythTV
>Jarod Wilson, Ed Tittel, Matthew Wright, Justin Korelc
>ISBN: 0-470-03787-3
>Paperback
>432 pages
>
>Available at bookstores everywhere and online retailers like
>amazon.com
>+++

I also understand that there is a Windows Myth frontend.