Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS: why all this empty space

CSS: why all this empty space

Gael

Hi,
I'm trying to design a website using CSS. It goes fine except that I
get extra empty space at the bottom of my page and a useless scrollbar
on the right. It seems to me that this blank space is due to my using
improperly <div> CSS element. But I can't manage to avoid this blank
space...
Here's the HTML page:
http://www.le-groupe-krivitch.org/Le...itch/index.php
The CSS used:
http://www.le-groupe-krivitch.org/Le.../krivitch6.css

Any help greatly appreciated!
Br
GaŽl

Harlan Messinger

Gael wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to design a website using CSS. It goes fine except that I
> get extra empty space at the bottom of my page and a useless scrollbar
> on the right. It seems to me that this blank space is due to my using
> improperly <div> CSS element. But I can't manage to avoid this blank
> space...
> Here's the HTML page:
> http://www.le-groupe-krivitch.org/Le...itch/index.php
> The CSS used:
> http://www.le-groupe-krivitch.org/Le.../krivitch6.css

The DIV is relatively positioned with top=-450px. Relatively positioned
boxes are treated initially as though they had their default static
positioning, and are shifted *after* the entire page has been laid out.
The shift doesn't alter the layout of the remainder of the page. In
other words, the bottom is where it would have been if you hadn't used
position: relative.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.h...ve-positioning