Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Advertisement of a default route

Advertisement of a default route

Lars L. Christensen

Hi there

What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
router?

I would prefer to use BGP, but am able to use EIGRP instead if that is
more preferred.

Setup:

+-------+ +-------+
| BGP-A | | BGP-B |
+-------+ +-------+
\ /
\ /
\ /
+----------+
| Customer |
+----------+

BGP-A and BGP-B is in the same AS and running iBGP.

The reason for running BGP between the customer and the 2 BGP routers is
to avoid the customers inside the IGP routing table and keep them on the
edge of the network (common way to secure the core network).

Normally I could just make a default route going out the 2 interfaces to
the BGP routers, but because the interfaces don't go down in case of a
break on the lines, I don't believe I can use that solution.

I know I problerbly should use some filters, but I'm not that good with
the routefilters yet.

Hope to hear som solutions from you guys

Cheers, Lars

Ivan Ostreš

In article <Xns95EB8F8944BABlarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.6 9>,
> Hi there
>
> What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
> router?

neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate

will allow your BGP router to advertise default route to it's neighbor.

> I would prefer to use BGP, but am able to use EIGRP instead if that is
> more preferred.

BGP is just fine....

> I know I problerbly should use some filters, but I'm not that good with
> the routefilters yet.

After this, I just have to say that playing with BGP on live network can
be very very very dangerous to you, your customer and whole Internet (if
stuff gets propagated to it)....

--
-Ivan.

Lars L. Christensen

Ivan Ostreš <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) t:

> In article <Xns95EB8F8944BABlarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.6 9>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi there
>>
>> What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
>> router?

> neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate
>
> will allow your BGP router to advertise default route to it's neighbor.

Does that apply to iBGP neighbors as well?

Ivan Ostreš

In article <Xns95EFAFD71B87Flarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.6 9>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Ivan Ostreš <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t:
>
> > In article <Xns95EB8F8944BABlarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.6 9>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Hi there
> >>
> >> What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
> >> router?

> > neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate
> >
> > will allow your BGP router to advertise default route to it's neighbor.
> >

> Does that apply to iBGP neighbors as well?

I don't remember any reason why it wouldn't work. You'll have some other
potential problem with this route on other iBGP peers, but that is
another story which might or might not happen...

--
-Ivan.