Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Bios Passwords

Bios Passwords

Tom

I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
haven't a clue what the other one is.
I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
time I turn the laptop on.

I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have vanished.
I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
remove these please.

thanks Tom

Tx2

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
> enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
> haven't a clue what the other one is.
> I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in
> every
> time I turn the laptop on.
>
> I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have
> vanished.
> I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
> remove these please.

Just a minute Tom, I'm going to check my crystal ball to discover what
laptop you have....

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

"Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell
> me how to remove these please.

Suggest you try setting an empty password.

cYb3R64 cYb3R64 is offline
Junior Member

Yeah it Depends on the Type of lap top you have could you please specify

Tom

"Tx2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
>> enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
>> haven't a clue what the other one is.
>> I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in
>> every
>> time I turn the laptop on.
>>
>> I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have
>> vanished.
>> I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
>> remove these please.

> Just a minute Tom, I'm going to check my crystal ball to discover what
> laptop you have....

Sorry its a HP pavilion zv6115ea

Tom

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
> enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
> haven't a clue what the other one is.
> I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in
> every
> time I turn the laptop on.
>
> I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have
> vanished.
> I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
> remove these please.
>
> thanks Tom

1st is the power on password 2nd is the drive lock

Jim Watt

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:00:52 +0100, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry its a HP pavilion zv6115ea

I believe they come with a fine manual.

If it were an IBM thinkpad you would enter
a space as a new password and that clears
the entry.

If it uses a HD password like the IBM be
very careful with it as if you forget it
there is no easy solution.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Arthur T.

In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
>enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
>haven't a clue what the other one is.
>I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
>time I turn the laptop on.
>
>I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now.

Very often, systems have two different power-on passwords.
One lets you use the system but not update the BIOS. The other is
the administrator password which gives you access to everything.

At a guess, you set both. Except by some reasonably serious
hacking you won't get back to the BIOS setup without that admin
password. (Depending on the machine, "reasonably serious" could
mean as little as removing the button battery for 15 minutes.
However, that could also clear some other info that you'd really
not like cleared.)

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

Jim Watt

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:37:43 -0400, Arthur T. <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)>,
>"Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
>>enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
>>haven't a clue what the other one is.
>>I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
>>time I turn the laptop on.
>>
>>I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now.

> Very often, systems have two different power-on passwords.
>One lets you use the system but not update the BIOS. The other is
>the administrator password which gives you access to everything.
>
> At a guess, you set both. Except by some reasonably serious
>hacking you won't get back to the BIOS setup without that admin
>password. (Depending on the machine, "reasonably serious" could
>mean as little as removing the button battery for 15 minutes.
>However, that could also clear some other info that you'd really
>not like cleared.)

Thats desktop machines, laptops tend to be different
and use the security feature of ATA drives to set a
password on the HD which is stored in eeprom

Nor are they as accessible as desktop machines and the
batteries are inscrutible.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Tom

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:00:52 +0100, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sorry its a HP pavilion zv6115ea

> I believe they come with a fine manual.
>
> If it were an IBM thinkpad you would enter
> a space as a new password and that clears
> the entry.
>
> If it uses a HD password like the IBM be
> very careful with it as if you forget it
> there is no easy solution.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

That's done the trick jim. I entered, enter as the new password and it just
boots ok now THANKS A LOT MATE brilliant.