Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [ANN] pylint 0.12.1

[ANN] pylint 0.12.1

Sylvain =?iso-8859-1?Q?Th=E9nault?=

Hi there !

I'm very pleased to announce the 0.12.1 release of PyLint.
This release includes some bug fixes and have tests passing from python 2.3
to python 2.5 . You may be surprised by the version number since we have
been missing public annoucements recently, and the 0.12.0 version has not
really been announced. To quote Alexandre, we got a bit sloppy in the public
part of our release process, and the mails did not fly... Hopefuly we'll be
better on this in a near future. Anyway there has been a lot of usability
changes and a lot of bug fixes making pylint more stable (at least since
the type inference has been introduced...) and nicer to configure and use, so
please upgrade to this version, along with the latest logilab-common and
logilab-astng version (this relelase of pylint actually depends on
astng >= 0.16.1). I hope you'll enjoy this release and would like to thanks
everybody who contribute to pylint/astng by sending feedback or even better
patch on the mailing list Enjoy !

What's new ?
------------
:Changes in 0.12.1
* fixed python >= 2.4 format false positive with multiple lines statement
* fixed some 2.5 issues
* fixed generator expression scope bug (depends on astng 0.16.1)
* stop requiring __revision__

:Changes in 0.12:
* usability changes:
- parseable, html and color options are now handled by a single
output-format option
- enable-<checkerid> and disable-all options are now handled by
two (exclusive) enable-checker and disable-checker options
taking a comma separated list of checker names as value
- renamed debug-mode option to errors-only
* started a reference user manual
* new W0212 message for access to protected member from client code
(close #14081)
* new W0105 and W0106 messages extracted from W0104 (statement seems
to have no effect) respectivly when the statement is actually string
(that's sometimes used instead of comments for documentation) or an
empty statement generated by a useless semicolumn
* reclassified W0302 to C0302
* fix so that global messages are not anymore connected to the last
analyzed module (close #10106)
* fix some bugs related to local disabling of messages
* fix cr/lf pb when generating the rc file on windows platforms

What is pylint ?
----------------

Pylint is a python tool that checks if a module satisfy a coding
standard. Pylint can be seen as another pychecker since nearly all
tests you can do with pychecker can also be done with Pylint. But
Pylint offers some more features, like checking line-code's length,
checking if variable names are well-formed according to your coding
standard, or checking if declared interfaces are truly implemented,
and much more (see http://www.logilab.org/projects/pylint/ for the
complete check list). The big advantage with Pylint is that it is
highly configurable, customizable, and you can easily write a small
plugin to add a personal feature.

The usage it quite simple :

$ pylint mypackage.mymodule

This command will output all the errors and warnings related to the
tested code (here : mypackage.mymodule), will dump a little summary at
the end, and will give a mark to the tested code.

Pylint is free software distributed under the GNU Public Licence.

Home page
---------
http://www.logilab.org/projects/pylint

Download
--------
ftp://ftp.logilab.org/pub/pylint

Mailing list
mailto://(E-Mail Removed)
--
Sylvain Thénault LOGILAB, Paris (France)
Formations Python, Zope, Plone, Debian: http://www.logilab.fr/formations