Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Web hosting security

Web hosting security

tornado579@yahoo.com

Hi,

As far as security is concerned what difference does it make if the
site is hosted on Windows or Linux servers ? Which would be more
secure.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd H.

> Hi,
>
> As far as security is concerned what difference does it make if the
> site is hosted on Windows or Linux servers ? Which would be more
> secure.

In my experience, this usually has far more to do with a) the choice
of middleware for the application and b) the coding of the actual web
application than the OS platform itself.

For example, an apache/php based app can just as easily be run under
Linux or Windows, and both can suck spectacularly at the hands of a
non-careful coder.

You can write a tight secure app on either platform with good coding
and the right middleware.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Stuart Miller

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> As far as security is concerned what difference does it make if the
> site is hosted on Windows or Linux servers ? Which would be more
> secure.
>
> Any inputs will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

From a web host point of view, consider the server you are going to use.
Apache runs under both, and is quite secure when properly set up. See the
apache newsgroup. Some people believe that IIS can be secure, but I am not
interested is investigating it.

From an OS point of view, I believe that linux is inherently more stable
and secure than anything from MS. My choice therefore was to use apache
under linux. The server here has been up for about 3 years, and has had no
problems.

From an ease of use point of view, learning the specifics of linux is no
more difficult than learning to set up apache.

You can e-mail me if you want more details

Stuart

Melic

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:47:54 +0100, Stuart Miller <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> As far as security is concerned what difference does it make if the
>> site is hosted on Windows or Linux servers ? Which would be more
>> secure.
>>
>> Any inputs will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.

OpenBSD has a very good reputation as a secure OS http://www.openbsd.org
only one remote exploit in eight years, and the developer focus their main
efforts in security.

Todd H.

Melic <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:47:54 +0100, Stuart Miller
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As far as security is concerned what difference does it make if the
> >> site is hosted on Windows or Linux servers ? Which would be more
> >> secure.
> >>
> >> Any inputs will be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> OpenBSD has a very good reputation as a secure OS http://www.openbsd.org
> only one remote exploit in eight years, and the developer focus their main
> efforts in security.

That's a very good point. Unfortunately, you typically need to do a
dedicated colo box to get openbsd as an option, but if security is a
priority, a dedicated box should be the option you go for anyway.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/