Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Laser Lens Cleaner

Laser Lens Cleaner

Citizen Bob

What is a good, safe laser lens cleaner for a standard DVDR?

--

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
--Mark Twain

Abe

>What is a good, safe laser lens cleaner for a standard DVDR?
I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx...a=info&pid=120

Citizen Bob

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:37:44 -0700, Abe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>What is a good, safe laser lens cleaner for a standard DVDR?

>I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
>http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx...a=info&pid=120

I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

--

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
--Mark Twain

Mark Jones

Citizen Bob wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:37:44 -0700, Abe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> What is a good, safe laser lens cleaner for a standard DVDR?

>> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
>> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx...a=info&pid=120

> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
> were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
with the disks that will not work in the other players.

Abe

>>> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
>>> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx...a=info&pid=120

>> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
>> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
>> were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

>I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
>fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
>lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
>built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
>the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
>with the disks that will not work in the other players.

Yeah, for anything more than light dust, you have to get in there and
manually clean the lens.

Jeff

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bNhQg.14197$bM.2909
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Citizen Bob wrote:

>>> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
>>> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx...a=info&pid=120

>> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
>> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
>> were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

> I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
> fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
> lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
> built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
> the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
> with the disks that will not work in the other players.

I wouldn't recommend Windex. The lens is most likely plastic and the
ammonia in Windex could damage it

E. Barry Bruyea

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:47:03 GMT, "Mark Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Citizen Bob wrote:

>>> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
>>> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx...a=info&pid=120

>> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
>> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
>> were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

>I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
>fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
>lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
>built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
>the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
>with the disks that will not work in the other players.

You should use the Windex product that does not contain ammonia.

Citizen Bob

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had zero luck using one of those.

I got the Maxell Lens Cleaner at WalMart for $10 and used it on both
my DVD Recorder and my DVD Player.

For the DVD Recorder, it took several passes before I could even see
the pictures on the DVD. Then it acted erratic until I made several
more passes. Finally I got it clean enough that it worked properly.

For the DVD Player it cleaned up a lot faster, but then we do not use
it as much as the DVD Recorder.

If this problem happens again, I will have to take the cover off and
clean the lens manually - and clean the dirt out of other parts.

But the good news is that the units both are functioning properly.

--

Jeff wrote:
> "Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bNhQg.14197$bM.2909 @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
>> Citizen Bob wrote:

>>> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
>>> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general
>>> they were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

>> I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
>> fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
>> lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
>> built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
>> the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
>> with the disks that will not work in the other players.
>>

> I wouldn't recommend Windex. The lens is most likely plastic and the
> ammonia in Windex could damage it

I repair a wide variety of optical equipment for a living and have
never had Windex damage anything. It works better on most things
than denatured alcohol or similar cleaners. What you want to avoid
is acetone. It will melt plastic.

Mike Walsh

While a single use of Windex probably won't do any noticeable damage, repeated use of ammonia could, depending on the type of plastic, eventually cloud a plastic lens. Better to use something such as Glass Plus, which does not contain ammonia and is safe to use on plastic.

Mark Jones wrote:

> > I wouldn't recommend Windex. The lens is most likely plastic and the
> > ammonia in Windex could damage it

> I repair a wide variety of optical equipment for a living and have
> never had Windex damage anything. It works better on most things
> than denatured alcohol or similar cleaners. What you want to avoid
> is acetone. It will melt plastic.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.