Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SPA3102 PSTN quality

SPA3102 PSTN quality

Jono

Oldie wrote :
> I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
> Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
> as one of your outgoing providers?

You can, yes. Even to the point of saying only a particular number
should be dialled over the PSTN (or VoIP)

> I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
> via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
> between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
> specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.

If you're going to use a proviedr such as voip.co.uk, you could
actually choose to present your PSTN number on your VoIP line.

Ivor Jones

"Oldie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just
> struck me. Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP
> or can you specify PSTN as one of your outgoing providers?
>
> I have a specific requirement for a particular
> destination to be called via my PSTN line (probably
> through the Orchid dialler which will sit between the
> 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
> specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone
> set.
>
> Oldie

The AVM Fritz!Box range can do this; either a prefix (for example 0870) or
a particular number can be made to route via any specified account or the
PSTN line.

Ivor

Ian Pawson

Oldie wrote:
> I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
> Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
> as one of your outgoing providers?
>
> I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
> via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
> between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
> specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.
>
> Oldie

Yes, send the number to gateway 0 (gw0) just add it to your dila plan

Oldie

Jono wrote:
> Oldie wrote :
> > I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
> > Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
> > as one of your outgoing providers?

> You can, yes. Even to the point of saying only a particular number
> should be dialled over the PSTN (or VoIP)

Thanks for your help (and to everyone else - again!)

> > I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
> > via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
> > between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
> > specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.
> >

> If you're going to use a proviedr such as voip.co.uk, you could
> actually choose to present your PSTN number on your VoIP line.

Yes, I already do this on Voipfone.

Oldie

Oldie

Paul wrote:

(snipped)

> Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
> altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
> able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
> high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
> applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
> some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
> cancellers.

Well, I took the plunge and bought one. Having got lots of good advice
from you good folks I was up and running quickly. So far so good; I
have all my providers set up and working and the PSTN line rings.
However, I get no CLI (or CID as Linksys call it) on incoming PSTN
calls. I have googled a bit and found that some people have had a
similar problem, while for others it seems to be OK.

That leads me to believe that it must be doable, so does anybody have
any idea of the settings that I need to change to achieve this? (I have
already changed the Caller ID Method under the Regional Tab
(Miscellaneous) to "ETSI FSK With PR(UK)" and the VOIP CID works fine).

Oldie

Oldie

Oldie wrote:

(snipped)

> Well, I took the plunge and bought one. Having got lots of good advice
> from you good folks I was up and running quickly. So far so good; I
> have all my providers set up and working and the PSTN line rings.
> However, I get no CLI (or CID as Linksys call it) on incoming PSTN
> calls. I have googled a bit and found that some people have had a
> similar problem, while for others it seems to be OK.
>
> That leads me to believe that it must be doable, so does anybody have
> any idea of the settings that I need to change to achieve this? (I have
> already changed the Caller ID Method under the Regional Tab
> (Miscellaneous) to "ETSI FSK With PR(UK)" and the VOIP CID works fine).

More bad netiquette in replying to my own posts, but I managed to solve
the CLI problem. All I had to do was to upgrade to version 3.2.10,
available from the Linksys site, and it worked straight away. I thought
I'd post this follow-up in case anyone else in the UK facing the same
problem googles for it.

Oldie