Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voip to mobile calls

voip to mobile calls

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Hana <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can call my son to his mobile in the US for 1p a minute but with BT
>I'm paying 15p daytime and 8p evening and 5p weekend to call Bristol,
>it doesn't really make sense does it !

It does when you realise that your son in the US is paying to recieve
the call and your daughter in Bristol isn't.

The net result is probably about the same. Someone somewhere has to pay
for the call... Call your son and ask him how much the call is costing him

Then call your daughter and ask her to call you back, then hangup

Gordon

Jono

Hana formulated on Thursday :
> Hi Jono,
>
> It's Hana again.
>
> Thanks for all your help in setting up my SPA3000.

No probs.

I had plenty a while ago, myself.

www.voipcheap.com, or a cheap mobile with x-network minutes

> I can call my son to his mobile in the US for 1p a minute but with BT
> I'm paying 15p daytime and 8p evening and 5p weekend to call Bristol,
> it doesn't really make sense does it !

Your son will be paying to receive your call - it may come out of his
inclusive minutes, rather than him actually being charged on a call by
call basis.

> I'm sure it's possible to set up the SPA to use different VOIP
> providers and I'm starting to research that now so that I can use
> VOIPCheap to call my daugter.

It is. And Brian A has a good guide at www.leafcom.co.uk (If you have
any parental control software that warns you about pornography, it is
safe to over-ride it - his little site is hosted by someone whose main
site has an unusual theme!)

> I notice that you use the Dock'n Talk, what exactly would you use that
> for?

I have an Orange phone & SIM connected to the D-n-T which I have
connected to an SPA3000, which in turn is connected to my Asterisk
server. I use it to route calls from the house phones over the GSM
network. I also use it for callback purposes: My wife & daughter have
PAYG mobiles. They can ring an 01xxx xxxxxx VoIP number which merely
gives them an engaged tone. My Asterisk server will then dial their
mobile number, route the call over my D-n-T, when they answer, they're
prompted for a password & Asterisk will then let them dial out on my
home "lines"

> If it's not too personal a question, what is a rough estimate, of the
> amount you might expect to pay for phone calls each month.

About 2.

> I have a
> feeling compared to what I currently pay to BT, ( and I'm just a normal
> person using personal calls to UK and overseas ) I might be shocked and
> horrified !!
>
> Thanks again,
> Hana

Jono

NicHughes brought next idea :
> Jono wrote:
>

>> I notice CentOS is up to version 4.4 now - wonder if they've fixed the
>> issues surrounding its installation on the Epia boards - I doubt it, so
>> make sure you come back for some tips. (I think the lates Trixbox uses
>> v4.3, anyway)
>>

> Trixbox 1.2 was released earlier this month and is built on CentOS 4.4.

There are people complaining about having to re-compile Asterisk from
source to get it up & running, though......I think..?

Hana

> > If it's not too personal a question, what is a rough estimate, of the
> > amount you might expect to pay for phone calls each month.

> About 2.

I have to pick myself up off the floor as I write this !!

2 ??????

Presumably that doesn't include your mobiles though, it must be just
your call charges.

My bill this month for calls to mobiles alone is about 50 and more
for landline charges all to BT.

Do you use the Trixbox?

Once I really know what I'm doing with the SPA3000 I hope to progress
to setting up a Trixbox either the software version or on a spare
desktop PC but I won't start that until I know a lot more about the
whole concept.

Thanks for the link to Brian's site, I'll start on that next.

I didn't realise that my son would pay for receiving my calls, I think
he has so many minutes on his cellphone plan that he wouldn't even
notice though.

Do you make a lot of calls voip to voip or mostly to landlines?

Thanks again,
Hana

Jono

Hana wrote on 29/09/2006 :
>>> If it's not too personal a question, what is a rough estimate, of the
>>> amount you might expect to pay for phone calls each month.

>> About 2.
>>

> I have to pick myself up off the floor as I write this !!
>
> 2 ??????

Haha! I think how much I've "saved" - 2 x SPA3000; 1 x SPA2100; 1 x
SPA1001; Asterisk server.....

> Presumably that doesn't include your mobiles though, it must be just
> your call charges.

Well spotted. Clearly it doesn't cover my 25 per month package fee
with Orange - only chargeable calls.

All my family use some form of VoIP, so calls are usually free between
us.

> My bill this month for calls to mobiles alone is about 50 and more
> for landline charges all to BT.

I had three physical lines beforehand, plus three contract mobiles.
That's down to 1 line, 1 contract mobile , 2 PAYG.....and a number of
VoIP lines.

No, its forerunner, Asterisk@home

> Once I really know what I'm doing with the SPA3000 I hope to progress
> to setting up a Trixbox either the software version or on a spare
> desktop PC but I won't start that until I know a lot more about the
> whole concept.

Hmm, just go for it, although the expense of having a PC on purely for
a house system may be overkill, it is an enjoyable learning experience.
You can achieve some of what asterisk can offer with regards to choice
of outbound provider using Brian A's instructions on www.leafcom.co.uk

> Thanks for the link to Brian's site, I'll start on that next.
>
> I didn't realise that my son would pay for receiving my calls, I think
> he has so many minutes on his cellphone plan that he wouldn't even
> notice though.

Yes, it's usual for them to have large(r) quantities of bundled
minutes.

> Do you make a lot of calls voip to voip or mostly to landlines?

Quite a few of both.

> Thanks again,
> Hana

Hana

> Haha! I think how much I've "saved" - 2 x SPA3000; 1 x SPA2100; 1 x
> SPA1001; Asterisk server.....

How do you use more than one SPA on your main landline? Don't you need
to make a connection from the SPA to the microfilter? There is only one
socket.

> All my family use some form of VoIP, so calls are usually free between
> us.

I'm very interested in using VoIP between family mobiles, would save me
a fortune.

> Hmm, just go for it, although the expense of having a PC on purely for
> a house system may be overkill, it is an enjoyable learning experience.

Would the vm software version be a better option or would it slow my
main pc down too much, I don't want to mess with the operating system
more than I have to.

> You can achieve some of what asterisk can offer with regards to choice
> of outbound provider using Brian A's instructions on www.leafcom.co.uk

I can't seem to access this site and I don't have any site filters on,
any ideas?

Jono

Hana wrote on 30/09/2006 :
>> Haha! I think how much I've "saved" - 2 x SPA3000; 1 x SPA2100; 1 x
>> SPA1001; Asterisk server.....

> How do you use more than one SPA on your main landline?

I don't. I missed one of my acquisitions off the list - a Dock-n-Talk -
this connects to my second SPA3000 and makes the SPA3000 think it's
connected to a BT line. (The D-n-T gives the SPA a dial tone just like
my BT line does.)

> Don't you need
> to make a connection from the SPA to the microfilter? There is only one
> socket.

You would, however, see above for answer. I don't have ADSL anyway - I
use Telewest cable.

>> All my family use some form of VoIP, so calls are usually free between
>> us.

> I'm very interested in using VoIP between family mobiles, would save me
> a fortune.

Hmm, not quite as easy. There's always going to be a charge for
termination of the call on a mobile network, at least for the vast
majority of countries that employ a model similar to the UK.

You can choose a termination provider that charges say 5ppm for UK
mobiles - <www.voipcheap.com> - or you could use an Indirect Access
provider such as <http://www.call18185.com/index2.php> which charges a
4p connection charge plus 5ppm and would be used on your BT line by
prefixing the call with 18185, or buy some bundled minutes on a mobile
account.

>> Hmm, just go for it, although the expense of having a PC on purely for
>> a house system may be overkill, it is an enjoyable learning experience.

> Would the vm software version be a better option or would it slow my
> main pc down too much, I don't want to mess with the operating system
> more than I have to.

A separate PC would be better to cope with more simultaneous calls, the
VM version would be fine for at least 1 call at a time, although
depending upon the spec of your PC, I'm not sure how it would cope if
you were doing something else as well.

>> You can achieve some of what asterisk can offer with regards to choice
>> of outbound provider using Brian A's instructions on www.leafcom.co.uk

> I can't seem to access this site and I don't have any site filters on,
> any ideas?

I can get in, however, the software parental control "K9 Web
Protoection" insists that I must allow access to xs4skin.com

NicHughes

Jono wrote:
> NicHughes brought next idea :

> > Trixbox 1.2 was released earlier this month and is built on CentOS 4.4.

> There are people complaining about having to re-compile Asterisk from
> source to get it up & running, though......I think..?

I've not tried, I would not tend to rush to update anything unless I
actually had a need for a new feature or fix. In any event 1.1.1 runs
perfectly well on CentOS 4.4 with the .tar install.

--
Nic

Hana

Hi Jono,

Is there anywhere else I can see the text etc of Brian's site at
leafcom.co.uk?
I can get to the parent site so it's hot the filter that stopping it, I
just can't get leafcom to to open.

Many thanks,

Hana

Jono

on 05/10/2006, Hana supposed :
> Hi Jono,
>
> Is there anywhere else I can see the text etc of Brian's site at
> leafcom.co.uk?
> I can get to the parent site so it's hot the filter that stopping it, I
> just can't get leafcom to to open.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Hana

try <http://www.xs4skin.com/leafcom>

Here, the above url redirects to www.leafcom.co.uk

I would copy & paste it here, however, Brian A has "Reproduction not
permitted" on his pages. Obviously I could ignore that, although I
would rather Brian A "reproduces" it here or provides an alternative
url that'll work for you.

I suggest you start a completely new subject/thread with the subject
line as: "Ping: Brian A" and ask for his assistance.

Jono.