Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voip to mobile calls

voip to mobile calls

Matt

Jono wrote:
> Matt has brought this to us :
>

> > Cheers Jono,

> Where've you been, anyway?

Nowhere in particular. Got caught out by e7even going bust and being
without adsl for about 6 weeks!

Might move trixbox for my epia board when we move - if it all goes
through this time!

Cheers for the info,

Matt

Jono

It happens that Matt formulated :
> Jono wrote:
>> Matt has brought this to us :
>>

>>> Cheers Jono,

>> Where've you been, anyway?

> Nowhere in particular. Got caught out by e7even going bust and being
> without adsl for about 6 weeks!

Oh dear.

> Might move trixbox for my epia board when we move - if it all goes
> through this time!

I notice CentOS is up to version 4.4 now - wonder if they've fixed the
issues surrounding its installation on the Epia boards - I doubt it, so
make sure you come back for some tips. (I think the lates Trixbox uses
v4.3, anyway)

Best bet is to install CentOS downloaded form a torrent and then
install the tar.gz of trixbox

Jono

It happens that Matt formulated :
>> I have a GSM connection for my Asterisk
>> & no need to use a VoIP carrier for mobile calls.

> Not that advanced yet, waiting till we move house and get a chance to
> re-config things.
>
> Will need to source another Sipura and a suitable sim card. You using
> a premicell or similar?

I thought we'd already had this conversation........I'm using an spa3k
in conjunction with a Dock-n-Talk.

Matt

Jono wrote:
> It happens that Matt formulated :
> >> I have a GSM connection for my Asterisk
> >> & no need to use a VoIP carrier for mobile calls.

> > Not that advanced yet, waiting till we move house and get a chance to
> > re-config things.
> >
> > Will need to source another Sipura and a suitable sim card. You using
> > a premicell or similar?

> I thought we'd already had this conversation........I'm using an spa3k
> in conjunction with a Dock-n-Talk.

We probably did....

Ivor Jones

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> I thought we'd already had this conversation........I'm
> using an spa3k in conjunction with a Dock-n-Talk.

Totally off topic and *not* a complaint, I promise, but why is it almost
everyone seems to refer to the Sipura 3000 as a "3k" - is it too hard to
type three 0's..?!

Before anyone asks, it's a purely personal thing, it just looks wrong to
me..! I don't know why, maybe it's because my computer background thinks
of "k" as being 1024, so "Spa3k" looks to me like "Spa 3072" which
*definitely* isn't right..!!

Ivor

Jono

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>
>> I thought we'd already had this conversation........I'm
>> using an spa3k in conjunction with a Dock-n-Talk.

> Totally off topic and *not* a complaint, I promise, but why is it almost
> everyone seems to refer to the Sipura 3000 as a "3k" - is it too hard to
> type three 0's..?!

Not at all, however, 3k is shorter to "think" as well, having fewer
syllables than three-thousand

> Before anyone asks, it's a purely personal thing, it just looks wrong to
> me..! I don't know why, maybe it's because my computer background thinks
> of "k" as being 1024, so "Spa3k" looks to me like "Spa 3072" which
> *definitely* isn't right..!!

It's not right /yet/ - they may have some more enahancements up their
sleeve, though

Ivor Jones

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fEISg.26023$(E-Mail Removed). uk
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I thought we'd already had this
> > > conversation........I'm using an spa3k in conjunction
> > > with a Dock-n-Talk.

> > Totally off topic and *not* a complaint, I promise, but
> > why is it almost everyone seems to refer to the Sipura
> > 3000 as a "3k" - is it too hard to type three 0's..?!

> Not at all, however, 3k is shorter to "think" as well,
> having fewer syllables than three-thousand

Blimey if you can only think in single syllables I'm getting worried about
you

> > Before anyone asks, it's a purely personal thing, it
> > just looks wrong to me..! I don't know why, maybe it's
> > because my computer background thinks of "k" as being
> > 1024, so "Spa3k" looks to me like "Spa 3072" which
> > *definitely* isn't right..!!

> It's not right /yet/ - they may have some more
> enahancements up their sleeve, though

True..!

Ivor

Hana

Hi Jono,

It's Hana again.

Thanks for all your help in setting up my SPA3000.

After looking at the ridiculous amounts I've been paying to BT for my
calls, I'm now looking in to making cheap calls to mobiles,
specifically to my daughter in university in Bristol.

I can call my son to his mobile in the US for 1p a minute but with BT
I'm paying 15p daytime and 8p evening and 5p weekend to call Bristol,
it doesn't really make sense does it !

I'm sure it's possible to set up the SPA to use different VOIP
providers and I'm starting to research that now so that I can use
VOIPCheap to call my daugter.

I notice that you use the Dock'n Talk, what exactly would you use that
for?

If it's not too personal a question, what is a rough estimate, of the
amount you might expect to pay for phone calls each month. I have a
feeling compared to what I currently pay to BT, ( and I'm just a normal
person using personal calls to UK and overseas ) I might be shocked and
horrified !!

Thanks again,
Hana

NicHughes

Jono wrote:

> I notice CentOS is up to version 4.4 now - wonder if they've fixed the
> issues surrounding its installation on the Epia boards - I doubt it, so
> make sure you come back for some tips. (I think the lates Trixbox uses
> v4.3, anyway)

Trixbox 1.2 was released earlier this month and is built on CentOS 4.4.

--
Nic