Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Fax over IP Providers

Fax over IP Providers

Laura

hello, i would like to know if there are Fax over ip providers, and where I
could get more information about it.
Thank you
Laura

Enzo Michelangeli

"Laura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efdhi6$otk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello, i would like to know if there are Fax over ip providers, and where
> I > could get more information about it.

Retail or wholesale?

Generally speaking, fax over IP is unreliable unless the T.38 protocol is
supported (by _both_ sides). The list at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/V...Providers+T.38 represents an
attempt to track T.38 support by PSTN termination providers, and is the best
source I can point you to. On your side, you'll need an suitable ATA: the
Linksys SPA-2102 (two ports) and the GrandStream HT386 (one port) are said
to support T.38, but I've never tested this feature. Anyway, here's a
supplier for both such devices that I have found reliable and inexpensive
(also for non-US shipments):

http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00329.html
http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00219.html

Enzo

t@auzinger.org

I've sent faxes at 9600 baud with ViaTalk.

Thanks,

Thomas
See review at http://www.betterphone.org

Laura wrote:
> hello, i would like to know if there are Fax over ip providers, and where I
> could get more information about it.
> Thank you
> Laura

Laura

Thanks for your help, Im going to check now

Laura

so could you send many fax at the same time? or does it work like a
conventional fax?what is the difference?
Thanks

<(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> I've sent faxes at 9600 baud with ViaTalk.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas
> See review at http://www.betterphone.org
>
> Laura wrote:
>> hello, i would like to know if there are Fax over ip providers, and where
>> could get more information about it.
>> Thank you
>> Laura

Laura

I would be more interested on wholesale providers...
Ive checked the links and Ive checked the ATA systems.. I understand that
they digitise the fax signal.
But I was thinking on something more like skype.. But maybe Im dreaming too
much...
If I have an Broadband line in my house, and 3 computers connected to
internet.They could be making 3 skype phone calls, but could they be sending
3 fax at the same time?
WOuld this Fax over IP system be faster?, or send various at the same time?
Thanks for your time

"Enzo Michelangeli" <(E-Mail Removed)-ip.com> escribió en el mensaje
> "Laura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:efdhi6$otk$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hello, i would like to know if there are Fax over ip providers, and where
>> I > could get more information about it.

> Retail or wholesale?
>
> Generally speaking, fax over IP is unreliable unless the T.38 protocol is
> supported (by _both_ sides). The list at
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/V...Providers+T.38 represents
> an attempt to track T.38 support by PSTN termination providers, and is the
> best source I can point you to. On your side, you'll need an suitable ATA:
> the Linksys SPA-2102 (two ports) and the GrandStream HT386 (one port) are
> said to support T.38, but I've never tested this feature. Anyway, here's a
> supplier for both such devices that I have found reliable and inexpensive
> (also for non-US shipments):
>
> http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00329.html
> http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00219.html
>
> Enzo

Enzo Michelangeli

"Laura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efg3ic$7tb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would be more interested on wholesale providers...
> Ive checked the links and Ive checked the ATA systems.. I understand that
> they digitise the fax signal.

Yes, and that's quite silly if you think about it, because the modem inside
the fax machine works hard to convert the digitally encoded data to analog
form...

An ATA can provide one or more ports equivalent to telephone lines ("FXS
ports") to which you may connect telephone sets; and/or one or more ports
equivalent to telephone sets ("FXO ports") that can be connected to a
telephone line.

> But I was thinking on something more like skype.. But maybe Im dreaming
> too much...

If you just want to send picture from a PC to another PC, all you need is a
scanner producing an image file that you will then send in one of many
possible ways: for example, e-mail or Skype-based file transfer. The
problems begin when you want to send your pictures to actual fax machines
connected to the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network).

> If I have an Broadband line in my house, and 3 computers connected to
> internet.They could be making 3 skype phone calls, but could they be
> sending 3 fax at the same time?

Well, IP is a packetized protocol, so you can share the bandwidth among
multiple independent sessions.

> WOuld this Fax over IP system be faster?, or send various at the same
> time?

Yes, but more often than not you can't just attach your fax machine(s) to
FXS ports of an ATA registered to the server of some PSTN termination
provider, even using uncompressing codecs such as G.711, because the fax
protocol is very sensitive to latency (propagation delay) and especially
jitter (random fluctuations of the latency), which on the other hand are
well tolerated by the human ear. The result is that connections that "sound
good" to a human may sometimes work for fax transmission, and sometimes
not... That's why several other mechanisms have been devised to send fax
messages over IP, ranging from store-and-forward systems such as
email-to-fax gateways (check out the free service by www.tpc.int ) to the
T.38 protocol for realtime fax transmission.

My impression is that not much effort is currently spent on fax-over-IP
because, in the age of Internet, fax technology is increasingly perceived as
a barbarous relic of the past...

Cheers --

Enzo

Laura

Thanks for all your answers, I agree that fax will disappear soon...so I
understand that they dont put effort on it.
So regarding all these companies send2fax or jblast ... etc... how can they
send all these big amount of fax so quick?
I was convinced that they would do it over ip..

Laura

> "Laura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:efg3ic$7tb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would be more interested on wholesale providers...
>> Ive checked the links and Ive checked the ATA systems.. I understand that
>> they digitise the fax signal.

> Yes, and that's quite silly if you think about it, because the modem
> inside the fax machine works hard to convert the digitally encoded data to
> analog form...
>
> An ATA can provide one or more ports equivalent to telephone lines ("FXS
> ports") to which you may connect telephone sets; and/or one or more ports
> equivalent to telephone sets ("FXO ports") that can be connected to a
> telephone line.
>
>> But I was thinking on something more like skype.. But maybe Im dreaming
>> too much...

> If you just want to send picture from a PC to another PC, all you need is
> a scanner producing an image file that you will then send in one of many
> possible ways: for example, e-mail or Skype-based file transfer. The
> problems begin when you want to send your pictures to actual fax machines
> connected to the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network).
>
>> If I have an Broadband line in my house, and 3 computers connected to
>> internet.They could be making 3 skype phone calls, but could they be
>> sending 3 fax at the same time?

> Well, IP is a packetized protocol, so you can share the bandwidth among
> multiple independent sessions.
>
>> WOuld this Fax over IP system be faster?, or send various at the same
>> time?

> Yes, but more often than not you can't just attach your fax machine(s) to
> FXS ports of an ATA registered to the server of some PSTN termination
> provider, even using uncompressing codecs such as G.711, because the fax
> protocol is very sensitive to latency (propagation delay) and especially
> jitter (random fluctuations of the latency), which on the other hand are
> well tolerated by the human ear. The result is that connections that
> "sound good" to a human may sometimes work for fax transmission, and
> sometimes not... That's why several other mechanisms have been devised to
> send fax messages over IP, ranging from store-and-forward systems such as
> email-to-fax gateways (check out the free service by www.tpc.int ) to the
> T.38 protocol for realtime fax transmission.
>
> My impression is that not much effort is currently spent on fax-over-IP
> because, in the age of Internet, fax technology is increasingly perceived
> as a barbarous relic of the past...
>
> Cheers --
>
> Enzo

Enzo Michelangeli

"Laura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efg8o1$k98$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for all your answers, I agree that fax will disappear soon...so I
> understand that they dont put effort on it.
> So regarding all these companies send2fax or jblast ... etc... how can
> they send all these big amount of fax so quick?
> I was convinced that they would do it over ip..

They probably have a bunch of fax/modems connected to the PSTN, or even a
few of them operated sequentially (the broadcast doesn't need to be
realtime). After all, even if they did it over IP, the IP-to-PSTN
termination provider would need conventional (i.e., TDM or analog) PSTN
ports in order to call standard fax machines...

Enzo

Laura

thanks Enzo for your help
Laura