Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Another Linksys Router Blocking Some Sites

Another Linksys Router Blocking Some Sites

Ryan

Hi,

I have seen this problem posted before, but no real solution offered so
I wanted to start from scratch.

We have a new Linksys router on our network that allows the PC's and
Tivo in the house to access the web. We have SBC DSL. The tool on
Linksys's web site confiqured the router automatically and all PCs are
now connected to the web without having to dial in themselves, the
router is doing what it should by keeping the internet connection live
24/7.

However, I have discovered none of the machines can "see" a few
selected sites such as eBay.com and Yahoo.com. 90% of sites work fine,
even secure banking sites we use work great. The router's firewall is
disabled so that's not the problem and all the machines are having the
same issue, so the problem is not resolved by shutting down Norton or
Window's firewall software on each machine (we have tried).

I am stumped as to how the router is allowing secure sites and most
others, but very popular sites like eBay and Yahoo won't work at all...
just sits there when you type in the URL. Google, it likes.

Any ideas? I am new to routers and networking so please be gentle with
me when you respond, I may need some explation of terms.

Thanks!

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:We have a new Linksys router on our network that allows the PC's and
:Tivo in the house to access the web. We have SBC DSL.

:However, I have discovered none of the machines can "see" a few
:selected sites such as eBay.com and Yahoo.com. 90% of sites work fine,
:even secure banking sites we use work great. The router's firewall is
:disabled so that's not the problem and all the machines are having the
:same issue, so the problem is not resolved by shutting down Norton or
:Window's firewall software on each machine (we have tried).

A problem such as that is -often- (but not always) due to problems with
MTU. I don't know about SBC: are you using PPPoE to talk to the DSL
modem? If so, then you need to lower your MTU to account for the PPPoE
overhead.

I suggest you visit dslreports.com and go through their tweaking FAQ.
They have an online test that you can run that will report your MTU and
line speed and a few other things and give you suggestions for improvements.
One of the items in the FAQ is a useful little GUI program that makes
turning on Path MTU Discovery easy.
--
Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow.
That's my point.

merv.hrabi@rogers.com

Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded on the Linksys routrs as
this problem has been reported before.

Iggy

Hi,

Or you can reduce TCP MSS (maximum segment size) to 1452 ("defualt" ADSL MTU
size = 1492 - 40 bytes)... I think that I saw this option on some LinkSys
DSL routers. I had a similar problem with my 2600 router. Then I applied 'ip
tcp adjust-mss 1452' IOS command on my LAN's interface (fa0/0 for example)
and after that all web sites works. I think that problem occures because
some web servers are behined firewalls that blocks ICMP messages which are
used as notification about too large MTU and TCP MSS values, etc. That's why
you might have problems to establihs TCP connection to some hosts...

B.R.
Igor

"Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have seen this problem posted before, but no real solution offered so
> I wanted to start from scratch.
>
> We have a new Linksys router on our network that allows the PC's and
> Tivo in the house to access the web. We have SBC DSL. The tool on
> Linksys's web site confiqured the router automatically and all PCs are
> now connected to the web without having to dial in themselves, the
> router is doing what it should by keeping the internet connection live
> 24/7.
>
> However, I have discovered none of the machines can "see" a few
> selected sites such as eBay.com and Yahoo.com. 90% of sites work fine,
> even secure banking sites we use work great. The router's firewall is
> disabled so that's not the problem and all the machines are having the
> same issue, so the problem is not resolved by shutting down Norton or
> Window's firewall software on each machine (we have tried).
>
> I am stumped as to how the router is allowing secure sites and most
> others, but very popular sites like eBay and Yahoo won't work at all...
> just sits there when you type in the URL. Google, it likes.
>
> Any ideas? I am new to routers and networking so please be gentle with
> me when you respond, I may need some explation of terms.
>
> Thanks!

Iggy

Hi,

I could not locate tool that you mentioned on the web site dslreports.com...
Could you be so kind to give us a link on it?

B.R.
Igor

news:ct3hmn$na7$(E-Mail Removed)...