Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Interaction between browser and server not needed?

Interaction between browser and server not needed?

Anders Skelander

This question is slightly off-topic, but anyway:

I found this Visual Basic code chunk that reads all files/contents
from a web page.

http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1252

My question is: Will it always work with a straightforward
loop like this, one that pulls all the information from the web
server? Or does the client (normally a web browser application)
sometimes have to interact with the server, respond to requests
that go from the server to the client, during the download of all
page contents?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anders

Benjamin Niemann

Hello,

Anders Skelander wrote:

> This question is slightly off-topic, but anyway:
>
> I found this Visual Basic code chunk that reads all files/contents
> from a web page.
>
> http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1252
>
> My question is: Will it always work with a straightforward
> loop like this, one that pulls all the information from the web
> server? Or does the client (normally a web browser application)
> sometimes have to interact with the server, respond to requests
> that go from the server to the client, during the download of all
> page contents?

I'm not into VB, but this one looks like it just downloads a single file. It
does not pull 'all files/contents from a web page', which would require
parsing the HTML and CSS code to look for embedded media (images..),
external stylesheets and javascript.

For downloading just a single file: yes, this is all that has to be done (in
any languages which provide the functions to abstract the not so trivial
HTTP handling away).

HTH

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

richard

"Anders Skelander" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:11TSg.17946$(E-Mail Removed)...

> This question is slightly off-topic, but anyway:
>
> I found this Visual Basic code chunk that reads all files/contents
> from a web page.
>
> http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1252
>
> My question is: Will it always work with a straightforward
> loop like this, one that pulls all the information from the web
> server? Or does the client (normally a web browser application)
> sometimes have to interact with the server, respond to requests
> that go from the server to the client, during the download of all
> page contents?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Anders

VB=Visual Basic scripting which only works in an IE browser.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> VB=Visual Basic scripting which only works in an IE browser.

Not if it is a server-side script running on an IIS server.

--
-bts

Harlan Messinger

richard wrote:

> "Anders Skelander" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:11TSg.17946$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> This question is slightly off-topic, but anyway:
>>
>> I found this Visual Basic code chunk that reads all files/contents
>> from a web page.
>>
>> http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1252
>>
>> My question is: Will it always work with a straightforward
>> loop like this, one that pulls all the information from the web
>> server? Or does the client (normally a web browser application)
>> sometimes have to interact with the server, respond to requests
>> that go from the server to the client, during the download of all
>> page contents?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Anders

> VB=Visual Basic scripting which only works in an IE browser.

This isn't VBScript, it's Visual Basic. VBScript doesn't have data
types. Besides that, VBScript is most commonly used on the server--it's
the language of ASP.NET.