Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Images as links, purple border

Images as links, purple border

Glenn Coyle

Hi there

i am using images as links and there is a border around the pics to
signify that they are linked. I would like to remove these but i for
some reason it sticks around

i have used the following CSS

..mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}
..mainWindowText a:visited { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
font-weight:bold; color:#000066}
..mainWindowText a:active { font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
text-decoration:none; color:#000066}
..mainWindowText a:hover{ font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
text-decoration:underline; color:#009900}

can anyone shed any light?

thanks
Glenn

David Dorward

Glenn Coyle wrote:

> .mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
> color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}

> can anyone shed any light?

It is a BORDER around an IMAGE, not an underline under some link text.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jonathan N. Little

Glenn Coyle wrote:
> Hi there
>
> i am using images as links and there is a border around the pics to
> signify that they are linked. I would like to remove these but i for
> some reason it sticks around
>
> i have used the following CSS
>
> .mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
> color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}
> .mainWindowText a:visited { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
> font-weight:bold; color:#000066}
> .mainWindowText a:active { font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
> text-decoration:none; color:#000066}
> .mainWindowText a:hover{ font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
> text-decoration:underline; color:#009900}

A border on the image, add to CSS

..mainWindowText A IMG { border: 0; }

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Glenn Coyle

David Dorward wrote:
> Glenn Coyle wrote:
>

>>.mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
>>color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}

>>can anyone shed any light?

> It is a BORDER around an IMAGE, not an underline under some link text.

thanks that has sorted it out.

Jukka K. Korpela

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> A border on the image, add to CSS
>
> .mainWindowText A IMG { border: 0; }

And expect users to fail to see that the images are links and, even if they
guess they are links, whether they are visited or unvisited.

Solution solved into a problem.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jonathan N. Little

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> A border on the image, add to CSS
>>
>> .mainWindowText A IMG { border: 0; }

> And expect users to fail to see that the images are links and, even if
> they guess they are links, whether they are visited or unvisited.
>
> Solution solved into a problem.

True, but it depends on the application. A graphic logo on a page is so
often also a link to the site's 'home' that no instruction is need nor a
border is wanted. Thumbnails is another 'web convention' now, and rarely
are borders use to indicate links. But technically, yes you should not
obscure links.

--
Take care,

Jonathan