Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > growing <div>s

growing <div>s

jason@cyberpine.com

Two <div> areas side by side. When one grows downward, I'd like the
other to do so as well. Any way to do this as well. I tried nesting,
but no success.

Andy Dingley

> Two <div> areas side by side. When one grows downward, I'd like the
> other to do so as well.

This is table-style behaviour and isn't supported by the HTML / CSS
flow model.

If it's important to you, then use a <table>. I wouldn't use the table
display properties in CSS, as they're poorly supported.

The alternatives tend to involve either JavaScript, or setting rigid
sizes onto elements. Overall I see the table approach as being
preferable. If you're insistent that adjacent elements maintain
relative sizing, then you're already committing yourself to table-like
concepts.

jason@cyberpine.com

Rigid might work so long as the areas are individually scrollable when
they outgrow the set. I wonder how I can do that. I'm using an asp.net
2.0 contentplaceholder inside the div, which varies in size based on
content.

Andy Dingley wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Two <div> areas side by side. When one grows downward, I'd like the
> > other to do so as well.

> This is table-style behaviour and isn't supported by the HTML / CSS
> flow model.
>
> If it's important to you, then use a <table>. I wouldn't use the table
> display properties in CSS, as they're poorly supported.
>
> The alternatives tend to involve either JavaScript, or setting rigid
> sizes onto elements. Overall I see the table approach as being
> preferable. If you're insistent that adjacent elements maintain
> relative sizing, then you're already committing yourself to table-like
> concepts.

jason@cyberpine.com

looks like this will do it overflow:auto;">

left:100px;
top:100px;
width:100px;
height:100px;
background-color:#ffffff;
overflow:auto;">

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Two <div> areas side by side. When one grows downward, I'd like the
> other to do so as well. Any way to do this as well. I tried nesting,
> but no success.

richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> looks like this will do it overflow:auto;">

> left:100px;
> top:100px;
> width:100px;
> height:100px;
> background-color:#ffffff;
> overflow:auto;">

Yeah that should work but I'd drop the height.
Have you tried doing the same thing but with a "container" division for
both?
Use the above style for the container as well and see what happens.
Instead of inline, do the style in the <head>.
Then you'd show something like:

The idea behind the container is to keep the boxes from breaking when not
desired.

Toby Inkster

Andy Dingley wrote:

> This is table-style behaviour and isn't supported by the HTML / CSS
> flow model.

It is -- it's just not supported by Internet Explorer.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andy Dingley

Toby Inkster wrote:

> Andy Dingley wrote:
>
> > This is table-style behaviour and isn't supported by the HTML / CSS
> > flow model.

> It is -- it's just not supported by Internet Explorer.

Sorry - I worded that poorly.

IE and FF both support "CSS table style" behaviour, although it's (not
entirely unreasonably) only reliably available for the <table> element.
IE doesn't support the CSS display property setting display: table-*;
on other elements.

What I should have said is that you're reduced to using tables (and
arguably mis-using them) because what you really need here is
"newspaper column" layout and HTML / CSS doesn't support that at all.
Although XSL:FO can do it (for many output formats).

BGP Table growing Gary Cisco 6 05-09-2006 04:09 PM
700+ posts, 150+ members and growing... cisco-forum.com Cisco 1 02-18-2005 05:14 AM
GC does not release memory...memory keeps growing!!! Mahesh Prasad ASP .Net 1 02-22-2004 08:40 AM
reading a growing log file seabass Perl 1 10-05-2003 07:56 AM
AspNet Process Memory Issue on Win2k Server - Peformance is fine - Memory usuage doesn't stop growing Cy Huckaba ASP .Net 1 06-26-2003 04:00 AM

Advertisments