Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Default value for input type file?

Default value for input type file?

ramkum@gmail.com

Hi,

I'm building a system where a presenter uploads a PPT to my server and
then I show it to all the participants. The problem is that most of the

media in the PPT is usually linked, so I'll need to upload all that
too. Assuming I can parse the PPT and figure the exact name and
location of each of the media files I need from his hard-disk, is there

any way I can upload all these files automatically, without having to
make the user choose each of these files manually? If that's not
possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a list of input boxes

of type file, pre-populated with the file-path and name of the media
files I need, so that the user can just click 'Submit' without having
to browse and select each of them?

Please say yes. It would be a major usability crisis if my users had to

keep hitting the browse button so many times for each PPT! Especially
when I know exactly what files I need and where they are! I know that
this has a lot to do with browser security, but there's got to be SOME
way out?

Thanks,

Michael Winter

> ... is there any way I can upload all these files automatically,
> without having to make the user choose each of these files manually?

No. It would be a privacy and security violation to allow a user agent
to upload content without explicit consent.

> If that's not possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a
> list of input boxes of type file, pre-populated with the file-path
> and name of the media files I need ...

No, because if the control could be given a default value, that value
would be used if a script were to automatically submit the form.

[snip]

Mike

ramkum@gmail.com

Thanks a lot for confirming, Mike. Though I dont quit like it, it makes
a lot of sense.

I guess I'll have to write an ugly signed Java applet to do the
uploading for me..