Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > hi groupers, i got troubled with linux and tomcat 5.x

Reply
Thread Tools

hi groupers, i got troubled with linux and tomcat 5.x

 
 
omm1979@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
hi my problem is someday i was distracted and without think i deleted
all the apache tomcat directory from linux but a little problem i
didn't stop the services, so it started my nightmare because i couldn't
stop/kill/reconfigurate the services then when i wanted to install
again the apache tomcat i couldn't because linux's services were
occupied i mean there were http and https services (8080 and 8443 ports
respectively) so i had to install it in another port 8000 and i can't
get solve this problem, i want to put/active those ports where they
were. i'll regard so much if anybody has an idea, and excuse me about
my english.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Manish Pandit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
Hi there,

Assuming you have root priviledges (as you *deleted* the tomcat
folder), do this:

$ps -eaf | grep 'java'

you should see something like:

tomcat 20201 1 0 Sep10 ? 00:05:19
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classapth bla
bla bla..

The number 20201 is the process ID in this case. Get the one you see
and then do this :

$kill -9 <The number you see>

That should kill the old process that is sitting there taking up your
ports.

-cheers,
Manish


http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hi my problem is someday i was distracted and without think i deleted
> all the apache tomcat directory from linux but a little problem i
> didn't stop the services, so it started my nightmare because i couldn't
> stop/kill/reconfigurate the services then when i wanted to install
> again the apache tomcat i couldn't because linux's services were
> occupied i mean there were http and https services (8080 and 8443 ports
> respectively) so i had to install it in another port 8000 and i can't
> get solve this problem, i want to put/active those ports where they
> were. i'll regard so much if anybody has an idea, and excuse me about
> my english.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
Manish Pandit wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Assuming you have root priviledges (as you *deleted* the tomcat
> folder), do this:
>
> $ps -eaf | grep 'java'
>
> you should see something like:
>
> tomcat 20201 1 0 Sep10 ? 00:05:19
> /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classapth bla
> bla bla..
>
> The number 20201 is the process ID in this case. Get the one you see
> and then do this :
>
> $kill -9 <The number you see>



Hi Manish ,

is there any specific reason to put 9 in your command ? why 9 ? what
it means here ? can we put any number instead of 9 ?

Thanks


>
> That should kill the old process that is sitting there taking up your
> ports.
>
> -cheers,
> Manish
>
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > hi my problem is someday i was distracted and without think i deleted
> > all the apache tomcat directory from linux but a little problem i
> > didn't stop the services, so it started my nightmare because i couldn't
> > stop/kill/reconfigurate the services then when i wanted to install
> > again the apache tomcat i couldn't because linux's services were
> > occupied i mean there were http and https services (8080 and 8443 ports
> > respectively) so i had to install it in another port 8000 and i can't
> > get solve this problem, i want to put/active those ports where they
> > were. i'll regard so much if anybody has an idea, and excuse me about
> > my english.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Matt Humphrey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006

"gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Manish Pandit wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Assuming you have root priviledges (as you *deleted* the tomcat
>> folder), do this:
>>
>> $ps -eaf | grep 'java'
>>
>> you should see something like:
>>
>> tomcat 20201 1 0 Sep10 ? 00:05:19
>> /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java
>> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classapth bla
>> bla bla..
>>
>> The number 20201 is the process ID in this case. Get the one you see
>> and then do this :
>>
>> $kill -9 <The number you see>

>
>
> Hi Manish ,
>
> is there any specific reason to put 9 in your command ? why 9 ? what
> it means here ? can we put any number instead of 9 ?


The kill command sends an interrupt signal to the process--the number is the
interrupt number. Signals are sometimes overridden to make the program do
something, such as reload a file, but signal #9 (the dreaded "kill -9")
always means halt.

Matt Humphrey (E-Mail Removed) http://www.iviz.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
apwvnd Dr. Michael E. Kan: deeply troubled and incompetent, a very ill man. dhebv Fritz Wuehler Digital Photography 0 07-14-2011 05:40 PM
Re: help! Troubled when embed python into C++ A. Cavallo Python 0 05-24-2009 12:05 PM
Raymond Karczewski: A Brother and a Troubled Man Abraham.Karczewski@googlemail.com Computer Support 2 09-01-2007 12:32 PM
Troubled authentication in subdirectories Benton ASP .Net 1 03-24-2007 01:00 AM



Advertisments