Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > DataGridView or something else

DataGridView or something else

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obks=?=

from what I read & tried, DataGridView was meant for Window Forms, not for
ASP/Web pages... correct?

While I can use it to display data, I can't seem to figure out how to edit
the cells... I'm not looking to put edit buttons on each row... I'll go back
to regular window forms before I create such an interface..

So is it true, in ASP.Net using the DataGridView, I'm not going to be able
to use that control to edit data?

Is there such a control I can use in ASP.Net?

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

the dataGridview is a window forms control, so if you want to use in IE,
then you should write a smart client.

if you want to write an html based application, then look at the grid view
or look at an ajax solution. if you want to write web apps, you should learn
html (book store is full of books).and css. you can then understand the
limiation asp.net is working under.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> from what I read & tried, DataGridView was meant for Window Forms, not for
> ASP/Web pages... correct?
>
> While I can use it to display data, I can't seem to figure out how to edit
> the cells... I'm not looking to put edit buttons on each row... I'll go
> back
> to regular window forms before I create such an interface..
>
> So is it true, in ASP.Net using the DataGridView, I'm not going to be able
> to use that control to edit data?
>
> Is there such a control I can use in ASP.Net?

Mark Rae

"JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> from what I read & tried, DataGridView was meant for Window Forms, not for
> ASP/Web pages... correct?

Correct.

> So is it true, in ASP.Net using the DataGridView, I'm not going to be able
> to use that control to edit data?

It's true inasmuch as the DataGridView is not designed to be used in a
webform...

> Is there such a control I can use in ASP.Net?

Yep: http://www.devsource.com/article2/0,1895,1912501,00.asp

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obks=?=

that's what I thought, don't want a html "application"
I've been looking at some ajax controls....

"bruce barker (sqlwork.com)" wrote:

> the dataGridview is a window forms control, so if you want to use in IE,
> then you should write a smart client.
>
> if you want to write an html based application, then look at the grid view
> or look at an ajax solution. if you want to write web apps, you should learn
> html (book store is full of books).and css. you can then understand the
> limiation asp.net is working under.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> "JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > from what I read & tried, DataGridView was meant for Window Forms, not for
> > ASP/Web pages... correct?
> >
> > While I can use it to display data, I can't seem to figure out how to edit
> > the cells... I'm not looking to put edit buttons on each row... I'll go
> > back
> > to regular window forms before I create such an interface..
> >
> > So is it true, in ASP.Net using the DataGridView, I'm not going to be able
> > to use that control to edit data?
> >
> > Is there such a control I can use in ASP.Net?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obks=?=

guess I go back to window forms ... which is fine (for now)

"JohnK" wrote:

> from what I read & tried, DataGridView was meant for Window Forms, not for
> ASP/Web pages... correct?
>
> While I can use it to display data, I can't seem to figure out how to edit
> the cells... I'm not looking to put edit buttons on each row... I'll go back
> to regular window forms before I create such an interface..
>
> So is it true, in ASP.Net using the DataGridView, I'm not going to be able
> to use that control to edit data?
>
> Is there such a control I can use in ASP.Net?

Eliyahu Goldin

Will be happy to see you back soon.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

else if vs else { if A C++ 8 08-28-2010 08:55 PM
What's the use of the else in try/except/else? kj Python 15 05-23-2009 02:18 AM
How to find and replace something that is nested inside something else? alainfri@gmail.com Perl Misc 4 05-31-2007 11:50 PM
for: else: - any practical uses for the else clause? metaperl.etc@gmail.com Python 25 09-30-2006 11:01 PM
umm... something... template(s)... something else... pointer(s)... and such... 0.o yah, I'm hopeless and clueless o.0 C++ 4 10-13-2004 10:34 PM

Advertisments