Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Database data and refresh button

Database data and refresh button

dejavue82@yahoo.com

Hello!

I have an .aspx page that is populated controls with random data from a
database. How can I avoid this data from being refreshed, (ie. new data
being loaded), when a user hits the browser's refrsh button?
!isPostback won't work since a control isn't posting back.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Jim

John Timney \(MVP\)

Stick a variable in the session when you first populate the page, and check
it at each subsequent request.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello!
>
> I have an .aspx page that is populated controls with random data from a
> database. How can I avoid this data from being refreshed, (ie. new data
> being loaded), when a user hits the browser's refrsh button?
> !isPostback won't work since a control isn't posting back.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim

dejavue82@yahoo.com

This is the most obvious solution, however, I wanted to avoid Sessions
due to scalability issues. Any other ideas?

John Timney (MVP) wrote:
> Stick a variable in the session when you first populate the page, and check
> it at each subsequent request.

> Regards
>
> John Timney (MVP)
> VISIT MY WEBSITE:
> http://www.johntimney.com
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have an .aspx page that is populated controls with random data from a
> > database. How can I avoid this data from being refreshed, (ie. new data
> > being loaded), when a user hits the browser's refrsh button?
> > !isPostback won't work since a control isn't posting back.
> >
> > Thank you for your time.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jim

John Timney \(MVP\)

Ypou can always just use a hidden field or a cookie and check it one each
subsequent request. Neither of which consume server resources. I dont
think one value in session will affect scalability at all, given its just a
boolean flag or a single int and not a complex object you would be storing.