Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco 837 BT Broadband

cisco 837 BT Broadband

Toonie

Another newbie - sorry.
I have a Cisco 837 adsl/router and would like to use it in place of my
bt broadband modem, I'm running XP and have a network card installed.
BUT the cisco has no documentation and the web site is far from easy to
follow, can anyone help me configure it and get it working?? How do I
config router and how do I get it to connect to the web??

RobO

Hi there!

Is the router new as in never been used?
Has the router come with the blue console cable?

I think for you the easiest way to configure it would be through the
Cisco Router WebSetup or CRWS.
You will have to see if the CRWS software is installed on the flash of
the router.
To check this you will need to have the blue console cable as mentioned
above which you should get.
Connect the blue cable to your serial port on the PC and the other end
to the port marked console.

In Xp there is a program called Hyperterminal under
"Accessories\Communications" through the start menu.

The connection settings need to point to your serial port (COM1/COM2
etc).
The "Baud rate" needs to be set to 9600 very important.

Once you have setup Hyperterminal you can connect to the router through
this program and hit RETURN to bring the console up.
Hopefully but not gauranteed the router will have no password set if it
does and you dont have the password then goto Cisco's website or do a
serach in google how to do a password recovery.

If you are lucky and you dont have a password set you should end up
with a prompt similar to this:-
router#

Type in "sh flash" which will list the contents of the flash disk.
and hope that you see something in the lines of CRWS or webflash.

I assume that its there so type in:-
"show run"
this will show you the config of the router and list the IP addresses
associated with specific interfaces.

The one to look out for is "interface ethernet 0"
Hopefully it will already have an IP address associated with the
interface.

Now lets say the IP Address on "ethernet 0" is 10.10.10.1 with a subnet
mask of 255.255.255.0...

you must change the ip address on your XP box to something like
10.10.10.2/255.255.255.0 and gateway poiting to 10.10.10.1.

Touch wood you have everything in place so all you have to do now is
run the internet explorer and point it to http://10.10.10.1

If all goes well it will bring up the CRWS web interface please note
you will need Java Runtime environment to use it.

You will see different sections for configuration internet/firewall/NAT
etc

I will look out on this posting see how you get on.
If you dont have the CRWS available to you try this link with
instructions
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080091cc5.html
Good luck
RobO

Dave Watson

"Toonie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Another newbie - sorry.
> I have a Cisco 837 adsl/router and would like to use it in place of my
> bt broadband modem, I'm running XP and have a network card installed.
> BUT the cisco has no documentation and the web site is far from easy to
> follow, can anyone help me configure it and get it working?? How do I
> config router and how do I get it to connect to the web??

Hello mate,

The config below which I posted in the thread "Health check Required Please"
will work with BT Broadband. All you will need to do is ensure that you
change the DNS server addresses and use the correct ppp username and
password. Please note that I have changed my routers default IP range too.
I agree with you when you mention that there is no documentation regarding
assistance with configuration guidelines to PPPoA in the UK and also the
guides that are provided when you purchase a Cisco router are only
applicable for the technical specifications and the tcp/ip settings that you
need to have enabled for connecting a PC to the router.

The default setting via the CRWS tool is PPoE (rfc 1483) with the only
option of pressing an auto detect button which does not detect PPPoA (rfc
2364) except for the pvc settings which are 0/38.

I feel disappointed with Cisco in some respects due to how they sell their
CRWS tool as a feature for the non technical but the reality is that it
does not work with the UK ADSL parameters for broadband. It does not do
what it says on the tin and the supplier that we purchased the router from
assured me that it would too. The supplier also maintains on their web site
that their sales staff also have CSE credentials! The information pack also
stated that we should have received a documentaion CD-ROM with the equipment
but after calling the supplier they said that Cisco no longer provide such
CD anymore. In effect, I had no documentation whatsoever for using the CLI
and assisting me to create a UK PPPoA connection.

On a brighter note, I eventually got connected but it took two calls to the
supplier to get connected. The first time was to reconfigur the ATM0
interface and the second time was to check a data transfer issue which
turned out to be an unassigned default route. The supplier wanted 100 per
hour for assistance but I rejected their offer due to feeling that they had
an onligation to help after being assured by apparent CSE accredited staff
that the CRWS tool would be the solution to my configuration requirements.

I was told that they supply the first technical support call and/or 15 mins
talk time over the phone free of charge. I was also told that I made an
assumption when I though that the CRWS tool would have been able to setup
the router for UK ADSL. I told him that your staff informed me that the
CRWS could.

What I'd say is use this guide as a reference but I can't be responsible if
I screw up your current config but rest assureed the output below is wirking
fine on my 837 K9.

Dave

!This is the running config of the router: XXXXXXXXXXX
!----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!version 12.3
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname gateway
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
logging buffered 51200 warnings
enable secret 5 $1$P39.$1KVxh7lkOSZH/DVUfb5f10
!
username mbglass privilege 15 secret 5 $1$6II2$bHU05QQfVt/QD5Dg1bxfl/
clock timezone PCTime 0
clock summer-time PCTime date Mar 30 2003 1:00 Oct 26 2003 2:00
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
no ip source-route
ip domain name xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ip name-server 192.168.0.1
ip name-server 212.159.13.49
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1
!
ip dhcp pool sdm-pool1
import all
network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
dns-server 212.159.6.9 212.159.13.49
default-router 192.168.0.1
!
!
no ip bootp server
ip audit notify log
ip audit po max-events 100
ip ssh break-string
no ftp-server write-enable
!
!
!
no crypto isakmp enable
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
description $FW_INSIDE$$ETH-LAN$$INTF-INFO-Ethernet 10/100$
ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip nat inside
ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
no cdp enable
hold-queue 100 out
!
interface ATM0
no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
no atm ilmi-keepalive
pvc 0/38
encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
dialer pool-member 1
!
dsl operating-mode auto
!
interface Dialer0
ip address negotiated
ip mtu 1452
ip nat outside
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1
no cdp enable
ppp authentication chap callin
ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxxxxxx
ppp chap password 0 xxxxxxxxx
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0
ip http server
ip http authentication local
ip http secure-server
!
!
access-list 1 remark INSIDE_IF=Ethernet0
access-list 1 remark SDM_ACL Category=2
access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
no cdp run
!
control-plane
!
banner login ^CAuthorized access only!
Disconnect IMMEDIATELY if you are not an authorized user!^C
!
line con 0
login local
no modem enable
transport preferred all
transport output all
line aux 0
transport preferred all
transport output all
line vty 0 4
privilege level 15
login local
transport preferred all
transport input telnet ssh
transport output all
!
scheduler max-task-time 5000
!
end

Toonie

Thanks for replying, yes it is brand new, all cables were still wrapped
and I think I have them all and I do not think it was ever used
although it may have been preconfigured before delivery to site, the
router was for a special project at work which didn't go ahead, all the
packaging and documentation has been thrown away. I will try and work
thru your instructions and will come back and let you know.
Brian

Toonie

Dave - thanks to you also. I will try later tonight to see if I can
work it out with the help I have been given.
Brian

Toonie

RobO, I have set up hyperterminal as you say, the router seems to want
me to input a password, I guessed at cisco & cisco, the promp then says
" yourname# " and no matter what name I input it comes back with
unknown command or computer name. If I type show run and show flash I
do get some info, but CRWS does not look like it is on my router. The
initial message seems to suggest that I can remove the credentials - is
it worth changing at this point?
The ip address is as you say 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.248. I can see
several files on the router, most of these look to be CSDM ( Cisco
Security Device Manager ) the first file is C837-K903sy6....
Do I need to install CRWS?
Brian

RobO

Excellent! Progress!

I think the best thing to do first would be to establish your own
password for the router
1>at the prompt where you have the hash ie yourname# type in "conf t"
this will take you into what is called configuration mode.
2>type "username brian privilege level 15 password your_password
just to make sure you have full access
3>test this by logging out and log back in again.

The Cisco security device manager is much better than the CRWS so you
fine there.

Try and set your XP box IP address 10.10.10.2 and subnet mask
255.255.255.0 with gateway pointing to the router IP 10.10.10.1

try with your web browser the address http://10.10.10.1 and see if it
brings up the SDM.

I am not sure why some of the output is spitting back "unknown to you"
but what you can do is make sure the Cisco IOS software is present on
the flash disk.

type show flash as before and you should see in the list of files one
entry for
"c837-k*************.bin

please remember to save any changes by invoking either "wr" or "copy
run start"
or "write memory"

If you need explanation of this let me know.

Rob
Toonie wrote:
> RobO, I have set up hyperterminal as you say, the router seems to

want
> me to input a password, I guessed at cisco & cisco, the promp then

says
> " yourname# " and no matter what name I input it comes back with
> unknown command or computer name. If I type show run and show flash I
> do get some info, but CRWS does not look like it is on my router. The
> initial message seems to suggest that I can remove the credentials -

is
> it worth changing at this point?
> The ip address is as you say 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.248. I can see
> several files on the router, most of these look to be CSDM ( Cisco
> Security Device Manager ) the first file is C837-K903sy6....
> Do I need to install CRWS?
> Brian

Toonie

Rob, thanks for your patience - I will sort out XP and give it a whirl.
Brian

Toonie

Rob, I beginning to think that this is all too much for me. I have set
xp to ip adress and subnet and also the gateway. Hypert, the command
conf t works but no matter what format I use I always get the reply
invalid input with a marker under the first l of level. I assumed I
typed " username brian privilege level 15 password brian" all on one
line with the leading space is this right? I fairly happy that I have
got xp sorted because whenever I unplug either the lan cable or the
adsl cable xp detects the change. Anyway typing 10.10.10.1 into the web
browser does...

Sorry I just tried again so I could type what it said, and a new window
message box popped up with the name "level_15_access" this looks like
what I was typing in earlier - does this mean something to you?
Brian

RobO

Brian,
If the command doesnt work then try just :-
username brian password your_pass.

If you could post the running config from "show run" here and i can
have a look at it for you.
make sure you do "copy run start" then do a "show start" to make sure
it has the new username info in and then "reload"and watch the boot
process and leave it to boot up completely.
Let me know we can take it from there