Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > DHCP relay agent versus Option 3; Routers Option

DHCP relay agent versus Option 3; Routers Option

lcorrigan

Could someone explain to me the difference between using a router as a
DHCP relay agent (option 82) and configuring option 3 (routers option)
on the DHCP server?
I currently need to set up a server to use option 3 to reproduce an
issue in a test environment but I need a good "real-life" scenario to
assist. Would it be something like this for option 3?

DHCPclient >>>>>>> Remote router >>>>>>> DHCP Server
Where the "DHCP Server" would send the "Remote Router" client-side IP
address in the option 3 section of the DHCP Offer ? Or does the the
remote router need to be set as a relay-agent to have this make sense?

Would it ever make sense to have:

DHCPclient>>>>>>>DHCP Server, where Option 3 is still necessary in the
DHCP Offer? ie: Option 3 contains the DHCP Server's client side
address?

I already know how to set up option 3 and relay agents / helper ip
address but just need more on the theory of the option 3 and the
scenarios where it would be used.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Roman Nakhmanson

Hi

here is real-life scenario:

host-----10.1.1.0/24--router1---router2----router3---router4-------10.1.12.0/24----DHCP-server

router1 has ip-helper dhcp-server-ip

make sure ALL routers from host to server DON'T have "no service dhcp"
(usually it's enabled by default)

on the server (here is part of the config file for isc-dhcpd):
subnet 10.1.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 10.1.1.101 10.1.1.200;
option routers 10.1.1.1;
}

hope that helped
Roman Nakhmanson

dhcp relay agent madhuuyyala Cisco 0 02-11-2008 06:39 AM
DHCP Configuration - Relay Agent - IP Address Assignment dennis Cisco 5 08-13-2007 05:35 AM
Cisco DHCP Relay Agent - strange thing.. bjoern.hoefer@gmail.com Cisco 1 01-20-2006 02:38 PM
DHCP Relay Agent cyphus MCSE 19 09-05-2004 10:54 PM

Advertisments