Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > dual router back to back serial connection (2501 <-> 2620)

dual router back to back serial connection (2501 <-> 2620)

zelator418@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible to run a back to back serial connection between a 2501
and 2620?

If so, what cabling would I require?

If not, is there an alternative configuration for the topology below,
or should I pickup another 2620?

Purpose: simulate a WAN connection between the two routers.

Reason: one router would be dhcp client for cable modem, WAN serial to
second router WAN serial, which acts as gateway for LAN.

Doug McIntyre

>Is it possible to run a back to back serial connection between a 2501
>and 2620?

>If so, what cabling would I require?

>If not, is there an alternative configuration for the topology below,
>or should I pickup another 2620?

Sure, what kind of interface cards do you have installed in the 2620?

If you have a WIC-1T, then you need a DCE to DTE cable, some people
sell them on eBay with a buy-it-now for $1.95.

If you have a WIC-1DSU-T1 card, then you'll need a CSU/DSU for the
2501, and the appropriate cabling for the CSU/DSU to the router. Then
you hookup the CSU back to back with the CSU card with a cross-over T1
cable (easy to make one).

zelator418@gmail.com

Thank you!