Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > turning off automatic search

turning off automatic search

Vegetable Lasagne

Is there a way to disable the search function in firefox. I'm on the latest
version.

Sometimes I'll mistype a site and instead of just giving me a 404 which is
fine, it arbitrarily takes me to a site with a similar name that wants to set
cookies.

IE has a feature that says don't do search from toolbar and I always have
that turned on. Is there something like that in mozilla

Leonidas Jones

Vegetable Lasagne wrote:
> Is there a way to disable the search function in firefox. I'm on the latest
> version.
>
> Sometimes I'll mistype a site and instead of just giving me a 404 which is
> fine, it arbitrarily takes me to a site with a similar name that wants to set
> cookies.
>
> IE has a feature that says don't do search from toolbar and I always have
> that turned on. Is there something like that in mozilla

Well, you can read here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search

The funny thing is my pref keyword.url is set for the feeling lucky
search, but that doesn't happen if I mistype a url in the location bar.

Still, you can go into about:config, filter for keyword.url, right
click, choose modify, and remove the url, thus disabling the pref. See
what that does.

Lee

Vegetable Lasagne

Vegetable Lasagne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Is there a way to disable the search function in firefox. I'm on the
> latest version.
>
> Sometimes I'll mistype a site and instead of just giving me a 404 which
> is fine, it arbitrarily takes me to a site with a similar name that
> wants to set cookies.
>
> IE has a feature that says don't do search from toolbar and I always
> have that turned on. Is there something like that in mozilla

sorry, ie option is not set for toolbar, but for the url window.

Lukan

> fine, it arbitrarily takes me to a site with a similar name
> that wants to set cookies.

Not entirely on topic perhaps but you can set up FF to
automatically delete all cookies (apart from the ones you
actually want to keep) whenever you exit your browser, let me
know if you need help with that.

Vegetable Lasagne

Lukan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:efkdhb$bq4$(E-Mail Removed):

>> fine, it arbitrarily takes me to a site with a similar name
>> that wants to set cookies.

> Not entirely on topic perhaps but you can set up FF to
> automatically delete all cookies (apart from the ones you
> actually want to keep) whenever you exit your browser, let me
> know if you need help with that.

I already prompt for every cookie, that's how I know. I allow them for the
sites I want only, not for the five or six ad sites that go along with the
ones I want.

Thanks though

Vegetable Lasagne

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:TdUSg.246408$(E-Mail Removed):

> Vegetable Lasagne wrote:
>> Is there a way to disable the search function in firefox. I'm on the
>> latest version.
>>
>> Sometimes I'll mistype a site and instead of just giving me a 404 which
>> is fine, it arbitrarily takes me to a site with a similar name that
>> wants to set cookies.
>>
>> IE has a feature that says don't do search from toolbar and I always
>> have that turned on. Is there something like that in mozilla

> Well, you can read here:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search
>
> The funny thing is my pref keyword.url is set for the feeling lucky
> search, but that doesn't happen if I mistype a url in the location bar.
>
> Still, you can go into about:config, filter for keyword.url, right
> click, choose modify, and remove the url, thus disabling the pref. See
> what that does.
>
> Lee

Well, doh....

I changed the prefs in the about:config (thanks for that info!) and falsed
keyword enabled and changed the url to about:blank and it still didn't work.
I watched the address bar at the bottom and it looks like earthlink, my isp,
is getting involved as some sort of proxy search. Have to look there next.

If i type something like mydoghasfleas, I don't want it to assume that I want
www.mydoghasfleas.com, which is what it's doing. Who knows what exploits
these lookalike sites could be doing?

Thanks!

Vegetable Lasagne

Vegetable Lasagne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Is there a way to disable the search function in firefox. I'm on the
> latest version.
>
> Sometimes I'll mistype a site and instead of just giving me a 404 which
> is fine, it arbitrarily takes me to a site with a similar name that
> wants to set cookies.
>
> IE has a feature that says don't do search from toolbar and I always
> have that turned on. Is there something like that in mozilla

In case anyone's interested, I fixed the problem. The packet sniffer showed
it coming from the browser, not externally.

In firefox, put about:config in the address bar and make the following change

browser search update true-->false

I now get "Firefox can't find the server at mydoghasfleas." instead of having
the browser go look for www.mydoghasflease.com

This is what I wanted.