Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Using wireless router in place of wired router ?

Using wireless router in place of wired router ?

anonym

Hi,
Currently my desktop and laptop share internet connection using a
wired router. If I replace it with a wireless router , with desktop
sharing wired link with the wireless router and laptop using the
wireless link, is there any disadvantage of this approach ?
My wireless router is broadband-g linksys and my internet is with cable
modem , will using wireless router affect my internet speed ? How
about the security for the desktop system which will share wired
connection ?
Thanks.

David Hettel MVP MobileDevices

Most home users will find no difference in speed when accessing the
internet, as there connection to the internet is much lower than the slowest
802.11 wireless connection provided they have a good or better connection
quality.

In switching to a wireless connection you are broadcasting your signal to
the world. It's possible for someone with the skills and desire to hack into
your system. But why would they want to take the time to hack into your
system when there are plenty of system with no security setup at all.
Without security active on your wireless system, it's a lot like running a
wired cable out to the end of your street and plugging the other end into
your wired router. Anyone could pick it up and use it.

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"anonym" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
> Currently my desktop and laptop share internet connection using a
> wired router. If I replace it with a wireless router , with desktop
> sharing wired link with the wireless router and laptop using the
> wireless link, is there any disadvantage of this approach ?
> My wireless router is broadband-g linksys and my internet is with cable
> modem , will using wireless router affect my internet speed ? How
> about the security for the desktop system which will share wired
> connection ?
> Thanks.

RJK

I'll be interested to see answers to your post !

I recently bought a Linksys WAG354G Router v1.0 which feeds the internet
along a 1 metre rj45 lead into my PC, and wirelessly to a WMP54G pci card
in Dad's PC downstairs - and his little pop-out balloon, in his System Tray
says that he's connected at 54mbps ...I would have thought that it would
have been faster than that ! ...although his seems to go like a rocket when
downloading large files from the internet e.g. initial AVG download updates.
....my ISP speeds along my rj45 lead "pops-out" allegedly in system tray at
1mbps.

Now, a friend of mine has the same router but, newer model "ADSL/2," and is
on 2mbps with the same ISP and his little pop-out balloon says that he's
connected at 2mbps - now whether he gets better performance I don't know,
because his PC has a 10/100 ethernet pci card in it, (rj45 lead to router).
He bought his boys a WPC54G pcmcia card for his son's laptop and there is
practically no range - he'll have to buy an antenna I think. He tried
relocating the router and still hardly any range ...dunno if there is a
plug hole on the pcmcia card for an MC connector so that his son can plug an
antenna into that as well !! My view is that it's really mean of Linksys
not to put an antenna in the retail box.

regards, Richard

"anonym" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
> Currently my desktop and laptop share internet connection using a
> wired router. If I replace it with a wireless router , with desktop
> sharing wired link with the wireless router and laptop using the
> wireless link, is there any disadvantage of this approach ?
> My wireless router is broadband-g linksys and my internet is with cable
> modem , will using wireless router affect my internet speed ? How
> about the security for the desktop system which will share wired
> connection ?
> Thanks.

FedUp

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:51 +0100, RJK wrote:

> I'll be interested to see answers to your post !
>
> I recently bought a Linksys WAG354G Router v1.0 which feeds the internet
> along a 1 metre rj45 lead into my PC, and wirelessly to a WMP54G pci card
> in Dad's PC downstairs - and his little pop-out balloon, in his System Tray
> says that he's connected at 54mbps ...I would have thought that it would
> have been faster than that ! ...although his seems to go like a rocket when
> downloading large files from the internet e.g. initial AVG download updates.
> ...my ISP speeds along my rj45 lead "pops-out" allegedly in system tray at
> 1mbps.

<snip>

Why would you expect a theoretical maximum speed of 54mbps to be faster
than that? An 802.11g will always be much slower than 54mbps. An 802.11b
will always be much slower than its maximum theoretical speed of 11mbps.

RJK

I should have said that I hadn't even looked at the wireless specifications
/ speeds, (just bought what looked okay!), and would have thought that
"wireless" would be faster by now (design wise).

regards, Richard

"FedUp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:182i78zbzhgjj$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:51 +0100, RJK wrote:
>
>> I'll be interested to see answers to your post !
>>
>> I recently bought a Linksys WAG354G Router v1.0 which feeds the internet
>> along a 1 metre rj45 lead into my PC, and wirelessly to a WMP54G pci
>> card
>> in Dad's PC downstairs - and his little pop-out balloon, in his System
>> Tray
>> says that he's connected at 54mbps ...I would have thought that it would
>> have been faster than that ! ...although his seems to go like a rocket
>> when
>> downloading large files from the internet e.g. initial AVG download
>> updates.
>> ...my ISP speeds along my rj45 lead "pops-out" allegedly in system tray
>> at
>> 1mbps.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Why would you expect a theoretical maximum speed of 54mbps to be faster
> than that? An 802.11g will always be much slower than 54mbps. An 802.11b
> will always be much slower than its maximum theoretical speed of 11mbps.

David Hettel

Well it is and it isn't. Linksys has a WRVS4400N router with a data rate of
up to 300 Mbps.But even an old 802.11b wireless connection will be faster
than what most ISP provide for home users.
--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"RJK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23ao$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I should have said that I hadn't even looked at the wireless specifications
>/ speeds, (just bought what looked okay!), and would have thought that
>"wireless" would be faster by now (design wise).
>

> regards, Richard
>

> "FedUp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:182i78zbzhgjj$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:51 +0100, RJK wrote:
>>
>>> I'll be interested to see answers to your post !
>>>
>>> I recently bought a Linksys WAG354G Router v1.0 which feeds the internet
>>> along a 1 metre rj45 lead into my PC, and wirelessly to a WMP54G pci
>>> card
>>> in Dad's PC downstairs - and his little pop-out balloon, in his System
>>> Tray
>>> says that he's connected at 54mbps ...I would have thought that it would
>>> have been faster than that ! ...although his seems to go like a rocket
>>> when
>>> downloading large files from the internet e.g. initial AVG download
>>> updates.
>>> ...my ISP speeds along my rj45 lead "pops-out" allegedly in system tray
>>> at
>>> 1mbps.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Why would you expect a theoretical maximum speed of 54mbps to be faster
>> than that? An 802.11g will always be much slower than 54mbps. An 802.11b
>> will always be much slower than its maximum theoretical speed of 11mbps.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific physical Environment.

In addition, specific settings of the OS (Windows) can affect the traffic
too.

As a result having the same Internet connection and Wireless Hardware does
not mean the same result in different environment and other Wireless Client
computers.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...