Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA Download KB893357

WPA Download KB893357

=?Utf-8?B?QiBFbmdsYW5k?=

I have downloaded file KB893357 to Windows XP Service Pak2.

The install shield comes up and goes through what looks like a normal
installation.

However, when I check the Network Authentication on the Wireless Network
Connection Properaties screen only Open and Shared are available. The Data
encryption drop down has only WEP and Disabled as choices.

How do I get the WPA to install?

Newtechie

It won't show until you reboot the computer. Did you do a restart?

"B England" <B http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have downloaded file KB893357 to Windows XP Service Pak2.
>
> The install shield comes up and goes through what looks like a normal
> installation.
>
> However, when I check the Network Authentication on the Wireless Network
> Connection Properaties screen only Open and Shared are available. The Data
> encryption drop down has only WEP and Disabled as choices.
>
> How do I get the WPA to install?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Windows would not let me use WPA/WPA2.

Assuming that WinXP is updated correctly with the WPA/WPA2 enable patch
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357 ). The Wireless Security setting
gets the info from the Wireless Card Drivers, if the Card as installed now
can not do WPA or WPA2, it would not appear as an option in the security
menu. Log to the Card's manufacturer support site and see if there is
updated drivers for the card, and a clear statement that it is WPA or WPA2
capable.

If it seems that the card and the drivers are WPA or WPA2 capable, and it is
unavailable by Windows Zero Configuration (WZC), disable WZC
(http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html ) and try to use the original Wireless
Utility that comes with Card.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"B England" <B (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have downloaded file KB893357 to Windows XP Service Pak2.
>
> The install shield comes up and goes through what looks like a normal
> installation.
>
> However, when I check the Network Authentication on the Wireless Network
> Connection Properaties screen only Open and Shared are available. The Data
> encryption drop down has only WEP and Disabled as choices.
>
> How do I get the WPA to install?

=?Utf-8?B?SXNoYnV1?=

Hello.

Terribly sorry for bumping such an old thread but I do have a similar
question on this matter. I properly installed the update, but the computer
seems unable to connect to WPA2 networks. It can properly identify them as
WPA2 BUT its not listed as a network authentication type. Any idea what i'm
doing wrong? (Yes i've checked the key is proper, blah blah blah...)

[Ishbuu]

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
>
> Windows would not let me use WPA/WPA2.
>
> Assuming that WinXP is updated correctly with the WPA/WPA2 enable patch
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357 ). The Wireless Security setting
> gets the info from the Wireless Card Drivers, if the Card as installed now
> can not do WPA or WPA2, it would not appear as an option in the security
> menu. Log to the Card's manufacturer support site and see if there is
> updated drivers for the card, and a clear statement that it is WPA or WPA2
> capable.

[snip]

Newtechie

Are you trying to connect to your home network or somewhere else? If at
home, make sure that the encrytion in the router setup is enabled to use
WPA2. If outside your personal network, you might need to ask them which
they are using.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...