Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > DHCP of ICS does not work

DHCP of ICS does not work

Timu CHEN

09-25-2006
I have a desktop PC with 10/100 network, connected to a local network, as a DHCP client.
I attached a USB wireless adaptor.

I would like to setup ICS on this PC, so other notebook could connect to the USB wireless adaptor, and share the internet connection of the 10/100 network apaptor.

I have enable the ICS on the 10/100 network adaptor setting, and the USB wireless adaptor also was given a fixed IP as "192.168.0.1".

On the wireless connection part, I created a Ad-hoc connection on this desktop PC, and my other notebook is able to see this connection and connect to it.

Now, this notebook is an ICS client, and is set to get IP automatically from the ICS host, which is my desktop PC. But the problem is DHCP service does not seem to work properly between the two machines. Mostly, the notebook does not get any IP automatically. However, if I manually setup an IP, all connections work fine.

Many articles addressing such a connection told me the DHCP is by default enabled. But it is nor running at my office. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

--
Timu CHEN
Email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

David Hettel MVP MobileDevices

09-25-2006
You might try disabling the ICS, on your desktop. Then powering down. Then restarting your desktop, enabling ICS, and then powering down again. Note that it will normally take longer than normal to power down after making the changes to ICS as files are rewritten during the powering down cycle. It's important to wait till these cycles complete. Also a ICS network card will not have a Gateway IP address, just the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Any changes here can break ICS.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights

"Timu CHEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
I have a desktop PC with 10/100 network, connected to a local network, as a DHCP client.

I would like to setup ICS on this PC, so other notebook could connect to the USB wireless adaptor, and share the internet connection of the 10/100 network apaptor.

I have enable the ICS on the 10/100 network adaptor setting, and the USB wireless adaptor also was given a fixed IP as "192.168.0.1".

On the wireless connection part, I created a Ad-hoc connection on this desktop PC, and my other notebook is able to see this connection and connect to it.

Now, this notebook is an ICS client, and is set to get IP automatically from the ICS host, which is my desktop PC. But the problem is DHCP service does not seem to work properly between the two machines. Mostly, the notebook does not get any IP automatically. However, if I manually setup an IP, all connections work fine.

Many articles addressing such a connection told me the DHCP is by default enabled. But it is nor running at my office. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

--
Timu CHEN
Email: (E-Mail Removed)

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

09-26-2006
Hi
If your desktop is running Windows XP Pro, it is connected to a Network, and there is already Routing and a DHCP source, you are better of Bridging the connection rather than using ICS.
This page describe Bridging setting. it is not exactly the same scenario as yours but you can infer from the info.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Timu CHEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...

Thanks very much.

--
Timu CHEN
Email: (E-Mail Removed)

Diamontina Cocktail

09-26-2006

"Timu CHEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a desktop PC with 10/100 network, connected to a local network, as
> a DHCP client.
> I attached a USB wireless adaptor.

> I would like to setup ICS on this PC, so other notebook could connect to
> the USB wireless adaptor, and share the internet connection of the 10/100
> network apaptor.

Set up the wi-fi devices on both computer. On the one that is to share
internet wirelessly with the other, share the wired connection. In the wi-fi
connection on the same device, set up manual IP numbers NOT in the same
range as that in your wired network (eg, if wired is 192.168.1.1 then make
wi-fi 10.1.1.1 or something else similar). Don't put a gateway in this
computer at all. On the laptop that is connecting wirelessly, put in an IP
of the same range as that you put at the wi-fi NIC on the other computer and
also put in, as the gateway, the wi-fi IP number of the computer that is
sharing Internet for you. Also either put your ISP's DNS server IP addresses
in on this computer OR put in the IP address of the wi-fi NIC on the sharing
computer. The DNS numbers would be better, however.

It works from there like that. I have actually done that for my own network
prior to just getting an ADSL MODEM/ROUTER.

Of course the easiest thing to do is to buy just a wi-fi router and attach
your ADSL modem to it. All handled auto, then.