Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless File/Printer Sharing Question

Wireless File/Printer Sharing Question

Dell Christopher

The management company in my office building provides free wireless
Internet. I have 2 desktops and one notebook in my office, and I would like
to network them together so that I can share files and our printer. I am
currently using a wireless USB adapter on my desktop and the built-in
wireless card in the notebook to access the free Internet signal.

For file/printer sharing, do I now need to get a wireless router for within
my office, or can I just run the Network Set-up Wizard on all my computers
since we're already on a wireless network in the building?

Thanks!

David Hettel MVP MobileDevices

Depends on the level of security you need, and the speed you need. If you
use the existing wireless router then you are potently sharing your files
and printer with everyone else on the wireless router. If you leave the
guess accounts active then anyone in the building or outside of it, would
have access to your printer and files. You'll also be sharing the bandwidth
of this connection with everyone else using this connection, and the more
people logged onto this access point and using it, the slower everything
will transfer

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices