Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) will not release adapter

Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) will not release adapter

=?Utf-8?B?b2xpdmVyX3RpZ2Vy?=

I have a ZyXEL AG-225H USB adapter which is supplied with its own third party
software and which incidentally also comes with Odyssey as well. I am used to
Odyssey and find it easy to use. I don't believe any of the above info is
relevant to the problem but it gives a bit of background.

I cannot totally shake off WZC. I have disabled it in 'Services' and 'View
Available Wireless Networks' says quite rightly it 'cannot configure this
wireless connection' and says use third party software. Trouble is - it has
not released the adapter for the third party software to pick up. It defaults
to a WZC configuration (even though it says it hasn't) and picks up someone
elses unencrypted router - which it did when I first started using WZC on
this desktop machine. Odyssey tells me the 'adapter is not available'. The
strange thing is all the third party software works fine on my laptop with
this same ZxYEL adapter.

So does anyone know if there is maybe an entry in the registry which causes
WZC to revert to a previous configuration, not release the adapter and then
tell me a pack of lies?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I doubt that it WZC fault. Many 3rd party wireless utilities have a setting
instructing them to stay neutral and let the Wireless work with WZC, look
carefully in all of the Wireless Utility menus and uncheck "Work with WZC"
(or similar wordings).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"oliver_tiger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a ZyXEL AG-225H USB adapter which is supplied with its own third
>party
> software and which incidentally also comes with Odyssey as well. I am used
> Odyssey and find it easy to use. I don't believe any of the above info is
> relevant to the problem but it gives a bit of background.
>
> I cannot totally shake off WZC. I have disabled it in 'Services' and 'View
> Available Wireless Networks' says quite rightly it 'cannot configure this
> wireless connection' and says use third party software. Trouble is - it
> has
> not released the adapter for the third party software to pick up. It
> defaults
> to a WZC configuration (even though it says it hasn't) and picks up
> someone
> elses unencrypted router - which it did when I first started using WZC on
> this desktop machine. Odyssey tells me the 'adapter is not available'. The
> strange thing is all the third party software works fine on my laptop with
> this same ZxYEL adapter.
>
> So does anyone know if there is maybe an entry in the registry which
> causes
> WZC to revert to a previous configuration, not release the adapter and
> then
> tell me a pack of lies?

=?Utf-8?B?am13aWxscw==?=

Actually, I would not use the third party app and use WZC. I find it much
better than any app than I have used for this purpose.
--
MCP (2K) Net+, A+
Server-Networking MVP

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> I doubt that it WZC fault. Many 3rd party wireless utilities have a setting
> instructing them to stay neutral and let the Wireless work with WZC, look
> carefully in all of the Wireless Utility menus and uncheck "Work with WZC"
> (or similar wordings).
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "oliver_tiger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a ZyXEL AG-225H USB adapter which is supplied with its own third
> >party
> > software and which incidentally also comes with Odyssey as well. I am used
> > Odyssey and find it easy to use. I don't believe any of the above info is
> > relevant to the problem but it gives a bit of background.
> >
> > I cannot totally shake off WZC. I have disabled it in 'Services' and 'View
> > Available Wireless Networks' says quite rightly it 'cannot configure this
> > wireless connection' and says use third party software. Trouble is - it
> > has
> > not released the adapter for the third party software to pick up. It
> > defaults
> > to a WZC configuration (even though it says it hasn't) and picks up
> > someone
> > elses unencrypted router - which it did when I first started using WZC on
> > this desktop machine. Odyssey tells me the 'adapter is not available'. The
> > strange thing is all the third party software works fine on my laptop with
> > this same ZxYEL adapter.
> >
> > So does anyone know if there is maybe an entry in the registry which
> > causes
> > WZC to revert to a previous configuration, not release the adapter and
> > then
> > tell me a pack of lies?

=?Utf-8?B?b2xpdmVyX3RpZ2Vy?=

Jack
Thanks for the Reply.
I've moved on slightly since but have still not solved the problem. After
much trial and error, Odyssey suddenly started working after I unset in the
adapters property 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'.
That's fine. But amazingly hands off I watched it's status become 'Not
Connected'. ZyXEL's software at this point was still not picking up the
adapter.

I have since deleted the Odyssey software. I really only want to use ZyXEL's
third party software. The adapter will also work as an AP (Access Point) -
which is one of the reasons I bought it and ZyXEL's software controls this
and normal infrastructure working easiy and quickly when it is working.

WZC within 'Services' is currently set to 'Automatic/Started' and as stated
above is also turned off in the adapter's properties. I could delete and
reload the whole thing I suppose.

I wish I could send you a screen print to show the situation. Are there any
other areas to pursue? I have looked but not spotted any other controls.

regards