Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking at home

Networking at home

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhZ2d5?=

Hi
I got a right migrane here. I am using a wireless connection at home.
I am trying to share files with another computer in the house.
I can never seem to be able to access the other computer or if i try it says
the access permissions arnt set.

Can anyone help me to set up a network properly.

Thanks

Malke

shaggy wrote:

> Hi
> I got a right migrane here. I am using a wireless connection at home.
> I am trying to share files with another computer in the house.
> I can never seem to be able to access the other computer or if i try
> it says the access permissions arnt set.
>
> Can anyone help me to set up a network properly.

Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable
File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhZ2d5?=

Thanks Malke

It works fine now.

Ill put you on my Christmas card list.

Thanks

Malke

shaggy wrote:

> Thanks Malke
>
> It works fine now.
>
> Ill put you on my Christmas card list.
>
> Thanks

You're very welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Malke