Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Bridge priority and sys-id-ext number?

Bridge priority and sys-id-ext number?

BB

Anyone can help me explain what the "sys-id-ext" parameter in show
spanning-tree below is?

Spanning tree mode MST
Instance 0
VLANs Mapped: 2-4094
Designated Root 00-03-6c-aa-14-01
Designated Root Priority 32770 (root priority: 32768, sys ID ext: 2)
Designated Root Cost 2000000
Designated Root Port 4/1

thanks

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, BB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Anyone can help me explain what the "sys-id-ext" parameter in show
:spanning-tree below is?

:VLANs Mapped: 2-4094
esignated Root Priority 32770 (root priority: 32768, sys ID ext: 2)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800e46f8.html

The bridge priority is combined with the system ID extension (that
is, the ID of the VLAN) to create the bridge ID priority for the VLAN.

Notice the '2' of the sys id matches the '2' of the first vlan number.
--
Those were borogoves and the momerathsoutgrabe completely mimsy.

BB

Thank you,

But What is the Bridge ID priority?
Bridge priority or Bridge ID priority is used for Spanning Tree Protocol?

BB

news:csfksh$ivu$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> :Anyone can help me explain what the "sys-id-ext" parameter in show
> :spanning-tree below is?
>
> :VLANs Mapped: 2-4094
> esignated Root Priority 32770 (root priority: 32768, sys ID ext: 2)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800e46f8.html

> The bridge priority is combined with the system ID extension (that
> is, the ID of the VLAN) to create the bridge ID priority for the VLAN.
>
> Notice the '2' of the sys id matches the '2' of the first vlan number.
> --
> Those were borogoves and the momerathsoutgrabe completely mimsy.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, BB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Thank you,
:But What is the Bridge ID priority?
:Bridge priority or Bridge ID priority is used for Spanning Tree Protocol?

The Bridge ID Priority is used for Spanning Tree purposes.

Please have a look at the document I referenced: it goes into
detail about all the different ways to configure spanning trees.
In particular, the default priority is dependant on which version
of the spanning tree you have set up.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800e46f8.html
--
Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.

BB

Thanks, I have checked your referenced document, but I still don't know why
they use Bridge ID priority for STP instead Bridge Priority.

BB
news:csg9jt$em8$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> :Thank you,
> :But What is the Bridge ID priority?
> :Bridge priority or Bridge ID priority is used for Spanning Tree Protocol?
>
> The Bridge ID Priority is used for Spanning Tree purposes.
>
> Please have a look at the document I referenced: it goes into
> detail about all the different ways to configure spanning trees.
> In particular, the default priority is dependant on which version
> of the spanning tree you have set up.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800e46f8.html
> --
> Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.

aswath

Hi,

In each system the bridgeId for the spanntree must be unique. For that
in std mstp the instance id is concatenated to get a unique bridgeId
for each spanning tree. In cisco PVST there is a spanning tree running
for each vlan. so vlan id is used as the extended id to get a unique
bridge id for the entire system.

Regards,
Aswath.

BB