Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > MSI Claims 7900GS's stolen...Woot.com involved?

MSI Claims 7900GS's stolen...Woot.com involved?

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Oh dear!!! I'd be interested to find out what happens when they get found out

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

Here is an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOT.COM
Good morning.

For now, this comment is being made only here in the specific product thread. As more information is gathered, an email will be sent to all Wooters who participated in this deal. There's a good amount of anger and calls to action from our staff with regards to this bizarre attack, but for now I'm going to just jot down and organize the basics for quick understanding to any members checking in:

1. fact: MSI has publicly claimed Woot has sold stolen goods.
2. fact: Woot has not been contacted by MSI or by any legal authority (as of time of this post)
3. fact: MSI is denying warranty on these cards and implying for whatever reason that they are not "real" (Woot offered these as MSI-OEM cards without any MSI warranty implied and a 90 day Woot warranty only.)

Our intial reaction:

Woot of course denies any wrong-doing in this proposed infringement against MSI. We do not believe that any cards transacted were 'stolen merchandise' -- we transact only with reputable manufacturers and vendors. We will of course cooperate fully with any investigation that is called for. Obviously, we feel harm has been done to our reputation with this claim and we reserve all rights to defend ourselves with further action.

To our members, We would like to take advantage of this opportunity to extend a 2 year Woot direct warranty on all purchased OEM-MSI video cards, un-real/imaginary as they may be. Unfortunately, as we do not have the support of MSI for replacement cards, this will continue to be a full refund only warranty from Woot. This has been automatically implemented on your purchase.

We will update here, or via email as necesssary if there is any news.

Thank you for your past and continued support.

Snapster (and rest of Woot Staff)

EDIT:
UPDATE 11:45am: We have proactively sought out and heard possibility that a real investigation may in fact be ongoing here... The language of this post was written during our initial disbelief of this possibility. As you can imagine, we're actively seeking information, due to lack of any direct communication. If any facts emerge, we will update.