Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > thumbnail and full size images

thumbnail and full size images

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Els wrote:

> Nice entirely blank page
>
> In the mean time the other link is working properly now though. I can
> actually see pictures of dogs, while the original site doesn't show
> any picture (or link) at all.

Yep, just got of the phone with tech support, seems my server is under
repair and will be 'flakey' (that was the technical term used) until 6PM EST

Well I guess it is impetus to host shopping. Mine is not a vanity site
but my business. I have been with them for many years and I manage
several other sites for clients. Have been very good in the past but
recently but frustrated with their 'upgrades' that involve complicated
server configs that has muck management and deployment. I'm looking at a
Kentucky company Host Excellence. I think I'll move my dog site over and
test them out. They seem to have good reviews.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:

>>> Gives a 500, on the entiresite, not just that directory.

>> Try http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/lu/index.php

> Nice entirely blank page
>
> In the mean time the other link is working properly now though. I can
> actually see pictures of dogs, while the original site doesn't show
> any picture (or link) at all.

Now it is up! Guess it is going to be an up|down thing today! Great I am
trying to sell my friend on this over the POS site she has and it will
be a crap shoot if she can see it!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Els

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> Try http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/lu/index.php

>> Nice entirely blank page
>>
>> In the mean time the other link is working properly now though.

> Now it is up! Guess it is going to be an up|down thing today!

Sounds like a good description of flakey

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Now playing: Dire Straits - Money For Nothing

Stuart Miller

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:10eb5$451147a6$40cba77f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steven Saunderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 04:58:55 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If I specify, for example, a 1600x1200 picture into a cell size of
>>> 160x120, when does the compression take place? Does apache compress the
>>> image before sending, or does the viewer's browser do the compression?
>>> Or can this be controlled?

>> The resizing is done by the browser. It is much better to supply a
>> correctly sized image. If resampling is a bother I have a Win32 program
>> that will resample and upload images. Check
>> <http://stevensaunderson.com/pickup.htm> if interested.

> Since the OP was sent on OE, we can assume he has access to a WinBox. I
> would recommend the freeware IrfanViewer
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>
> Really simple to run batch mode where you can resize and apply filter like
> sharpen and even append to the filename if you wish to build all your
> thumbnail in one click. You can select all the file with drag and drop so
> it is ease for the technically challenged.
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Thanks for the information.
I post from an xp box because I have it keep it running for the business.
I have a file server running linux, and I have my own web server running
linux/apache here as well.
The large images are so that family & friends can edit and print the images
for themselves. I just post them exactly as they come from the camera.
The workload to the server of resizing images on the fly is not going to be
significant, so one day I will figure out how to do that. But for now, I
will continue to manually create the thumbnail size.

Stuart

richard

"Stuart Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have a hobby site, with a lot of pictures of family and various other
>hobby group activities. I have always used 'the gimp' to create small
>images, about 160x120 to display with a link to the real image if the
>caller wants to see it. This way I can cut the bandwidth usage and allow
>the pages to load faster, particularly for dial up users.
>
> If I specify, for example, a 1600x1200 picture into a cell size of
> 160x120, when does the compression take place? Does apache compress the
> image before sending, or does the viewer's browser do the compression? Or
> can this be controlled?
>
> I would be a help if I did not have to create small images of everything,
> but if the compression is done by the browser then I am still transmitting
> the entire image, so I am not creating faster loading pages.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart

To load the page faster, you should use true thumbnails, not compressed
versions.
Resample the original to your desired size, as in your 160x120 case, then
rename it to photo101-tn.jpg.
Why do you want to display a 1600x1200 image knowing that your viewer would
have to scroll either way to see it all?

Define the area the same size as the thumbnail, or a tad bigger, and load
the thumbnail into it.

A simple editor like Irfanview can easily do the trick.

www.irfanview.com

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why do you want to display a 1600x1200 image knowing that your viewer would
> have to scroll either way to see it all?

He did say.

--
dorayme

Andy Mabbett

In message <10eb5$451147a6$40cba77f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jonathan N. Little
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

> I would recommend the freeware IrfanViewer
>
>http://www.irfanview.com/

With few exceptions, I would recommend not automating the
thumbnail-making process:

<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9611.html>

--
Andy Mabbett