Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX 515 Software Upgrade

PIX 515 Software Upgrade

darkmoo

I have a customer that wants to upgrade their PIX 515. They already
have upgraded the onboard memory but not sure why since their net admin
just left the company before completing the upgrade. They want to finish
the upgrade of the OS from 6.3(1) to a newer version but they are not sure
what they were upgrading for.

Whats the highest recommended stable upgrade for the 515? Stick in same
major version up to 6.3(5) or would it be ok to jump to major versions
like 7.2(1)

john smith

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:54:50 +1000, darkmoo wrote:

> I have a customer that wants to upgrade their PIX 515. They already
> have upgraded the onboard memory but not sure why since their net admin
> just left the company before completing the upgrade. They want to finish
> the upgrade of the OS from 6.3(1) to a newer version but they are not sure
> what they were upgrading for.
>
> Whats the highest recommended stable upgrade for the 515? Stick in same
> major version up to 6.3(5) or would it be ok to jump to major versions
> like 7.2(1)

how much memory was installed? is this a failover set? Unrestricted
license?
If a memory upgrade was performed, then the previous network admin
probably was hoping to upgrade to at least a 7.x OS. If you plan or
decide you want to also upgrade to 7.x, first upgrade the PIX to 6.3(5),
then to the 7.x code. I run 7.2(1) on 7 515e's, all w/o a hitch.

What kind of config is on the pix? i mean, are there vpns being
terminated at it? remote access vpns? site-to-site? those things might
make a difference when upgrading to 7.x code since the syntax is different.

There are documents on cisco's website about upgrading from 6.3(x) to 7.x,
including added features, maybe that will give you a clue as to why you
might want (or not want) to upgrade to 7.x.

(personally, i wanted to upgrade just to keep my knowledge base current -
selfish i know)