Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Zero Configuration and USB adaptor

Wireless Zero Configuration and USB adaptor

rybock@cox.net

New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
short while (during which time it is running at 100%)

The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
871122).

Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
decent info on it online).

So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The Wireless Utility that was installed by the Laptop manufacturer is taking
over and disabling WZC.
You have the disable the original utility if you want to use WZC.
http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> The Wireless Utility that was installed by the Laptop manufacturer is taking
> over and disabling WZC.
> You have the disable the original utility if you want to use WZC.
> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thank you for the response. Actually, though, it is a desktop, with no
built-in wireless. I am using an off the shelf Linksys Wireless-G
adaptor, which has worked for several months with no problem.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
> > adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
> > re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
> > short while (during which time it is running at 100%)
> >
> > The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
> > connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
> > has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
> > interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
> > 871122).
> >
> > Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
> > dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
> > automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
> > where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
> > has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
> > decent info on it online).
> >
> > So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Newtechie

Hi Jack,

So if I just wanted to use the WZC, could I just uninstall the
utility/software that came with the adapter or do I need it in order for it
to work?

newtechie

news:%23s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> The Wireless Utility that was installed by the Laptop manufacturer is
> taking over and disabling WZC.
> You have the disable the original utility if you want to use WZC.
> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
>> adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
>> re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
>> short while (during which time it is running at 100%)
>>
>> The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
>> connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
>> has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
>> interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
>> 871122).
>>
>> Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
>> dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
>> automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
>> where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
>> has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
>> decent info on it online).
>>
>> So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
> adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
> re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
> short while (during which time it is running at 100%)
>
> The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
> connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
> has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
> interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
> 871122).
>
> Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
> dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
> automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
> where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
> has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
> decent info on it online).
>
> So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What do you mean is "disabled" - media disconnected, or a red X in device
manager?

This certainly looks like malware...

--PA

rybock@cox.net

Pavel A. wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> > New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
> > adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
> > re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
> > short while (during which time it is running at 100%)
> >
> > The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
> > connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
> > has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
> > interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
> > 871122).
> >
> > Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
> > dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
> > automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
> > where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
> > has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
> > decent info on it online).
> >
> > So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

> What do you mean is "disabled" - media disconnected, or a red X in device
> manager?
>
> This certainly looks like malware...
>
> --PA

Disconnected. The device is fine under Hardware Manager.

For now, it seems to have gone away. While going through services, I
found options to restart in the event of failure. I turned on that
feature for all relavent services, and it seems to be working fine now.
Time will tell.