Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Finally getting it down right again

Finally getting it down right again

richard

With a little fine tweaking and pruning, I finally got my page to render as
I want in firefox.
Main problem being I had quotes and equal signs where they had no business
being.
So FF was showing the page as it read it.
Running it through the validator, I was rewarded with a zero error page.

For the moment I have one set of tables purely for testing purposes which I
should remove later.
And of course, a seperate CSS page.

Then the next thing to work on is to get rid of the white space surrounding
the globe so it blends in more with the background.

www.1-small-world.com/index2.html

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Main problem being I had quotes and equal signs where they had no business
> being.

> www.1-small-world.com/index2.html

arial black in your css should have quotes around. "Arial Black"

I think.

--
dorayme

richard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Main problem being I had quotes and equal signs where they had no
>> business
>> being.

>> www.1-small-world.com/index2.html

> arial black in your css should have quotes around. "Arial Black"
>
> I think.

Never did it that way before. As fonts are seperated by commas, and many
have two or more words for a name, it doesn't become a problem without the
quotes.
Whereas font-family:arial,black; would indicate two different fonts.

I think, therefor I am, I think.

Andy Dingley

richard wrote:

> Never did it that way before. As fonts are seperated by commas, and many
> have two or more words for a name, it doesn't become a problem without the
> quotes.

You're still not getting the "standards" thing though.

Yes, unquoted font names work. It's still bad practice to not quote
them though, because the standard says they should be:
"Font names containing any such characters or whitespace should be
quoted:"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#font-family-prop

_If_ you quote them and it doesn't work, that's a browser problem. If
you don't quote them and it doesn't work, then that's your problem.
Take any sufficiently complex piece of work and you'll run into this
issue. Maybe not for font-family, maybe not today, but sooner or later
you get bitten by this stuff. It's the difference between IE and a web
browser. Start working around mis-use of the standards and before long
the whole thing is in pieces.

Incidentally, font family names for the generics nust _not_ be quoted,
and font family names for fonts with the same name as the generics must
be quoted. Quoting one of these names may stop it being recognised
correctly as a generic.

richard

"Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> richard wrote:
>
>> Never did it that way before. As fonts are seperated by commas, and many
>> have two or more words for a name, it doesn't become a problem without
>> the
>> quotes.

> You're still not getting the "standards" thing though.
>
> Yes, unquoted font names work. It's still bad practice to not quote
> them though, because the standard says they should be:
> "Font names containing any such characters or whitespace should be
> quoted:"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#font-family-prop
>
> _If_ you quote them and it doesn't work, that's a browser problem. If
> you don't quote them and it doesn't work, then that's your problem.
> Take any sufficiently complex piece of work and you'll run into this
> issue. Maybe not for font-family, maybe not today, but sooner or later
> you get bitten by this stuff. It's the difference between IE and a web
> browser. Start working around mis-use of the standards and before long
> the whole thing is in pieces.
>
> Incidentally, font family names for the generics nust _not_ be quoted,
> and font family names for fonts with the same name as the generics must
> be quoted. Quoting one of these names may stop it being recognised
> correctly as a generic.

Ok. So would that be single or double quotes?

Jonathan N. Little

richard wrote:

> "Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>
>> richard wrote:
>>
>>> Never did it that way before. As fonts are seperated by commas, and many
>>> have two or more words for a name, it doesn't become a problem
>>> without the
>>> quotes.

>> You're still not getting the "standards" thing though.
>>
>> Yes, unquoted font names work. It's still bad practice to not quote
>> them though, because the standard says they should be:
>> "Font names containing any such characters or whitespace should be
>> quoted:"
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#font-family-prop
>>
>> _If_ you quote them and it doesn't work, that's a browser problem. If
>> you don't quote them and it doesn't work, then that's your problem.
>> Take any sufficiently complex piece of work and you'll run into this
>> issue. Maybe not for font-family, maybe not today, but sooner or later
>> you get bitten by this stuff. It's the difference between IE and a web
>> browser. Start working around mis-use of the standards and before long
>> the whole thing is in pieces.
>>
>> Incidentally, font family names for the generics nust _not_ be quoted,
>> and font family names for fonts with the same name as the generics must
>> be quoted. Quoting one of these names may stop it being recognised
>> correctly as a generic.
>>

> Ok. So would that be single or double quotes?

Either, just as long as they are matched pairs!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Andy Dingley

richard wrote:
> Ok. So would that be single or double quotes?

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#strings

If it's knowable about CSS, it's in there.

Alan J. Flavell

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, richard wrote:

[excessive quotage snipped]

> Ok. So would that be single or double quotes?

I suppose you wouldn't consider consulting the specification?

Usenet works best when it's exchanging interesting ideas and lore.
It's not a good place to get authoritative answers to factual
questions about specifications. Those who know the right answers are
unlikely to bother to do your homework for you, while those who don't
know the specification are IME more than likely to come up with a
convincing-looking answer that is plain wrong.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Never did it that way before. As fonts are seperated by commas, and many
> have two or more words for a name, it doesn't become a problem without the
> quotes.
> Whereas font-family:arial,black; would indicate two different fonts.
>
> I think, therefor I am, I think.

Fatal mistake mate, I have seen people disappear by
mispronouncing or misquoting or mispelling Descartes' dictum.
Gee... I hope you are ok.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> richard wrote:
> > Ok. So would that be single or double quotes?

> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#strings
>
> If it's knowable about CSS, it's in there.

I dunno... this is the idea that the bible is the literal truth.
There are other strands in this church. But AD still has a good
point. I won't describe it further as I wish to conserve my
energies to ripping apart the more dangerous fundamentalisms in
other churches.

--
dorayme