Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > multimode and single mode fiber cables

multimode and single mode fiber cables

tony

We have two single mode gbic between 2 buildings. Does it absolutely require
single mode fiber cables or would multimode (orange) work?

Walter Roberson

In article <eemcfr$mdk$(E-Mail Removed)>, tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>We have two single mode gbic between 2 buildings. Does it absolutely require
>single mode fiber cables or would multimode (orange) work?

If it is a "single mode gbic" then it is not going to be 1000Base-SX
as -SX is not supported on single mode.

If you are going "between 2 buildings" then the distance might not be
all that far -- not far enough to require -SZ or wave division,
both of which require single mode.

You might, then just happen to be using -LX -- and LX *is* supported
on both single mode and multimode; for single mode, the maximum
segment length is 550 m -- though for more than 300 m it needs a
mode-conditioning cable to launch the light closer to the centre of
the fibre.

tony

these are actual sx gbics.
"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In article <eemcfr$mdk$(E-Mail Removed)>, tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>We have two single mode gbic between 2 buildings. Does it absolutely
>>require
>>single mode fiber cables or would multimode (orange) work?

> If it is a "single mode gbic" then it is not going to be 1000Base-SX
> as -SX is not supported on single mode.
>
> If you are going "between 2 buildings" then the distance might not be
> all that far -- not far enough to require -SZ or wave division,
> both of which require single mode.
>
> You might, then just happen to be using -LX -- and LX *is* supported
> on both single mode and multimode; for single mode, the maximum
> segment length is 550 m -- though for more than 300 m it needs a
> mode-conditioning cable to launch the light closer to the centre of
> the fibre.

chris

"tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eemeqk$ntq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> these are actual sx gbics.

If they're SX then you're going to have to use MM fibre.

Chris.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

chris wrote:
> "tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eemeqk$ntq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > these are actual sx gbics.

> If they're SX then you're going to have to use MM fibre.

I agree:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08014cb5e.html

CISCO 1000BASE-SX GBIC

The Cisco 1000BASE-SX GBIC (WS-G5484) operates on ordinary
multimode fiber (MMF) optic link spans up to 1815 feet (550 m) long.

SX GBICS are Multimode.

Cable colour is NO indication of specification.

MM 62.5/125
50/125

SM 9/125 [sometimes 8 or 8.5 instead of 9]

These figures are usually prnted on the cable every 1 or 2 metres.
They refer to the core Inner/Outer diameter in micro-metres.

You need to make sure that your patch leads and cable are all
of the same type. (i.e. all 50 or all 62.5) for any one run.

tony

Oops , I am sorry the GBICs are actually LX gbics part number

WS-G5486

Would That require single mode fiber cables (yellow)?

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

In article <eemnqh$337$(E-Mail Removed)>, tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Oops , I am sorry the GBICs are actually LX gbics part number

>WS-G5486

>Would That require single mode fiber cables (yellow)?

No. See for example table 3 of
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...e/nrp2gbic.htm

and be sure to read about the mode conditioning cable there if your
distances is 300m to 550m . (If it is more than 550m, you need single mode.)