Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing an internet connection over two wirelessly connected lapto

Sharing an internet connection over two wirelessly connected lapto

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=

I currently have a wireless network set up between my two wirelessly enable
laptops. One of them is connected to the internet via a USB modem. Even
thoughi have connected them both successfully and i have enabled internet
connection settings on the host computer but the client computer still can't
connect or won't connect. I'm not sure what connection i should be using to
connect the client computer to the internet?? I need help, please.

Gordon

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have a wireless network set up between my two wirelessly enable
> laptops. One of them is connected to the internet via a USB modem.

Is this a USB ADSL Modem? If so then you'd be far better off getting a
wireless ADSL Modem/Router.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=

Yes it's a USB ADSL Modem. But is it not possible to use just an ad hoc
network to connect to the internet using two computers?? That's what i'm
trying to do.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I currently have a wireless network set up between my two wirelessly enable
> > laptops. One of them is connected to the internet via a USB modem.

> Is this a USB ADSL Modem? If so then you'd be far better off getting a
> wireless ADSL Modem/Router.

Gordon

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes it's a USB ADSL Modem. But is it not possible to use just an ad hoc
> network to connect to the internet using two computers?? That's what i'm
> trying to do.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I currently have a wireless network set up between my two wirelessly
>> >enable
>> > laptops. One of them is connected to the internet via a USB modem.

>> Is this a USB ADSL Modem? If so then you'd be far better off getting a
>> wireless ADSL Modem/Router.

Well it ought to be.......what isn't working?

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=

I dont have an internet gateway or anything like that appearing in my Network
Connections. I dont know why??

"Gordon" wrote:

> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes it's a USB ADSL Modem. But is it not possible to use just an ad hoc
> > network to connect to the internet using two computers?? That's what i'm
> > trying to do.
> >
> > "Gordon" wrote:
> >
> >> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Is this a USB ADSL Modem? If so then you'd be far better off getting a
> >> wireless ADSL Modem/Router.
> >>

> Well it ought to be.......what isn't working?

David Hettel MVP MobileDevices

On the host computer the wireless connection settings should appear wrong or
incomplete. What you might do is disable ICS on the USB modem, reboot this
computer and then re-enable it on the USB modem connection, choosing the
wireless network card. The wireless card on the computer running ICS should
only have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
listed. ICS will only work with these values, changing them or adding to
them will break ICS. Your other computer will need to be configured to
192.168.0.xxx space with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway
address of 192.168.0.1 DNS should also point to 192.168.0.1

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I dont have an internet gateway or anything like that appearing in my
>Network
> Connections. I dont know why??
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes it's a USB ADSL Modem. But is it not possible to use just an ad hoc
>> > network to connect to the internet using two computers?? That's what
>> > i'm
>> > trying to do.

>> Well it ought to be.......what isn't working?

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=

Thanks David and Gordon. I got the problem fixed, the ip gateway weren't the
same so i changed them to make them the same and now it works. Cheers guys.

"David Hettel MVP MobileDevices" wrote:

> On the host computer the wireless connection settings should appear wrong or
> incomplete. What you might do is disable ICS on the USB modem, reboot this
> computer and then re-enable it on the USB modem connection, choosing the
> wireless network card. The wireless card on the computer running ICS should
> only have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
> listed. ICS will only work with these values, changing them or adding to
> them will break ICS. Your other computer will need to be configured to
> 192.168.0.xxx space with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway
> address of 192.168.0.1 DNS should also point to 192.168.0.1
>
> --
> David Hettel
> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I dont have an internet gateway or anything like that appearing in my
> >Network
> > Connections. I dont know why??
> >
> > "Gordon" wrote:
> >
> >> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Well it ought to be.......what isn't working?

Gordon

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks David and Gordon. I got the problem fixed, the ip gateway weren't
> the
> same so i changed them to make them the same and now it works. Cheers
> guys.

Glad you fixed it - it would be a good idea to budget for a wireless ADSL
Modem/Router anyway in the near future a) because you would not need two
machines turned on to access the internet from one, and b) because you would
then benefit from a NATS firewall in the router......

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=

Yeah, cheers. I'l be getting one in the next couple of months. I just wanted
to setup this connection just so that i could say that i could do it. Thanks
again for your help.