Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How do you know if it's protected or not?

How do you know if it's protected or not?

Fenton

You have a real Hollywood DVD in your hands. How can you determine if it's
copy-protected or not? Sure, these days you can pretty-well bet on it, but
I'd like to know what test I can run -- tests that don't include wasting a
blank DVD.

For any software tools suggested, be aware I use a PPC-based PowerBook G4.

Thanks.

Netmask

"Fenton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) llsouth.net...
> You have a real Hollywood DVD in your hands. How can you determine if it's
> copy-protected or not? Sure, these days you can pretty-well bet on it,
> but
> I'd like to know what test I can run -- tests that don't include wasting a
> blank DVD.
>
> For any software tools suggested, be aware I use a PPC-based PowerBook G4.
>
> Thanks.

Any of the ripping programs will tell you like DVDDecrypter - brings up the
protection. Or just try to copy files off the disc to your hard drive - if
it's protected they either won't copy or severe error messages come up.

Mark W

"Fenton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) llsouth.net...
> You have a real Hollywood DVD in your hands. How can you determine if it's
> copy-protected or not? Sure, these days you can pretty-well bet on it,
> but
> I'd like to know what test I can run -- tests that don't include wasting a
> blank DVD.
>
> For any software tools suggested, be aware I use a PPC-based PowerBook G4.
>
> Thanks.

The old ways are the best. Throw it in the river. If it floats, it should be
burned. If it sinks, it's copy protected. Or have I got that the wrong way
round..?