Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Would You Rather: Malware Edition

Would You Rather: Malware Edition

Ze Muffinman

I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind
every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!

I start:
Would you rather not use the computer for 6 months or format your
harddrive without backing up anything, or using any current backups so
you lose EVERYTHING?

Paul Adare

In article <1158525571.318693.185460
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, in the
microsoft.public.security news group, Ze Muffinman
<(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind
> every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
> to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!

This is a waste of time and bandwidth. Why don't you get
some real friends to play with and keep the posts here on-
topic and relevant?

--
Paul Adare - MVP Virtual Machines
It all began with Adam. He was the first man to tell a

Phil Weldon

'Ze Muffinman' wrote:
| I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind
| every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
| to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!
|
| I start:
| Would you rather not use the computer for 6 months or format your
| harddrive without backing up anything, or using any current backups so
| you lose EVERYTHING?
_____

Nice game, but your first questions is pretty draconian.

How about

Use Windows 3.11 or Vista RC1 as your operating system?

Eliminate crossposting to lower the signal to noise ratio, or accept the
noise and eliminate multiposting?

Install Norton Antivirus 2006 or Uninstall Norton Antivirus 2006?

Extend the support life of Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP or see Vista
arrive on time?

Phil Weldon

"Ze Muffinman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
|I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind
| every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
| to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!
|
| I start:
| Would you rather not use the computer for 6 months or format your
| harddrive without backing up anything, or using any current backups so
| you lose EVERYTHING?

Phil Weldon

'Paul Adare', a previous participant in ONE of the crossposted newsgroups,
and that for only 6 months, offers himself as arbiter of community taste
with -
| This is a waste of time and bandwidth. Why don't you get
| some real friends to play with and keep the posts here on-
| topic and relevant?

_____

Phil Weldon

"Paul Adare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| In article <1158525571.318693.185460
| @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, in the
| microsoft.public.security news group, Ze Muffinman
| <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
|
| > I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind
| > every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
| > to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!
| >

| This is a waste of time and bandwidth. Why don't you get
| some real friends to play with and keep the posts here on-
| topic and relevant?
|
| --
| Paul Adare - MVP Virtual Machines
(sig snipped for excessive length)

Anonyma

Ze Muffinman wrote:

> I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind

You posted to multiple groups, only two of which deal with those thing
specifically.

> every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
> to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!
>
> I start:
> Would you rather not use the computer for 6 months or format your
> harddrive without backing up anything, or using any current backups so
> you lose EVERYTHING?

Your question makes no sense at all grammatically or logically. The
choices are first two completely unrelated things...

1. Not use your computer for 6 months.

2. Format without backing up anything.

Then you finish off with a contradiction...

3. Use current backups so you loose everything.

If you have current backups you don't "loose everything". That's what
backups are for, and that's what they'll prevent assuming they're not
corrupt themselves. Which is why many people use rotating media on a
set schedule. This almost guarantees they'll be able to restore to a
point somewhere in the not too distant past. The schedule of course
varies with the importance and longevity of your data.

Maybe if you re-worded the question the game would be more easy to
play?

Eximpleh

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:46:47 -0400, Paul Adare <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <1158525571.318693.185460
>@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, in the
>microsoft.public.security news group, Ze Muffinman
><(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>
>> I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind
>> every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
>> to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!
>>

>This is a waste of time and bandwidth. Why don't you get
>some real friends to play with and keep the posts here on-
>topic and relevant?

So was your post. I hope the operation to remove the stick from your ass is
successful, if a little painful.

To the OP:

>I start:
>Would you rather not use the computer for 6 months or format your
>harddrive without backing up anything, or using any current backups so
>you lose EVERYTHING?

I would rather not use my computer for 6 months, so in your scenario, I
would keep my existing data which is of considerable size and value to
myself. Who knows, I might even get a life myself ?

Regards,

E.

optikl

Ze Muffinman wrote:
> I know this group is for viruses and spyware, but it's nice to unwind
> every now and then. So, a classic game which everyone knows the rules
> to: Would You Rather, with malware questions! w000!
>
> I start:
> Would you rather not use the computer for 6 months or format your
> harddrive without backing up anything, or using any current backups so
> you lose EVERYTHING?

You need to work on framing your thoughts. This isn't very clear.

optikl

Anonyma wrote:

> Your question makes no sense at all grammatically or logically. The
> choices are first two completely unrelated things...
>

> Maybe if you re-worded the question the game would be more easy to
> play?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Far Canal

optikl wrote

What do you expect from a top posting ****wit?