Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > web page to-for file server

web page to-for file server

RJ

My web space on my ISP wants the first file FTP'd up to be named
index.htm which I know is necessary to open your page. What I want to
do is open up a utilitarian (ala-linux FTP sites) directory tree in
which I can upload primarily .jpg images and be able to call them from
eBay and the like. I know there are free-b image hosting sites but this
has become sort of a challenge. I can make the HTML code make images
available, but it won't re-index and add the new images on subsequent
uploads. I've googled till I'm blue in the face and I can't seem to
find any direction on this. Anybody?
TIA, RJ

Jonathan N. Little

RJ wrote:
> My web space on my ISP wants the first file FTP'd up to be named
> index.htm which I know is necessary to open your page. What I want to
> do is open up a utilitarian (ala-linux FTP sites) directory tree in
> which I can upload primarily .jpg images and be able to call them from
> eBay and the like. I know there are free-b image hosting sites but this
> has become sort of a challenge. I can make the HTML code make images
> available, but it won't re-index and add the new images on subsequent
> uploads. I've googled till I'm blue in the face and I can't seem to
> find any direction on this. Anybody?
> TIA, RJ

HTML will not *do* anything, hence your problem. HTML is markup and not
a programing language, what you need is a server-side script. Easy to do
with PHP if your hosting supports server-side. Also if your hosting is
Apache and .htaccess is allowed your can turn on indexes for an image
folder, (no HTML) required.

BTW if you are just hosting your images on this site, you do not need a
HTML or a listing to host images for eBay. As long as *you* know the
url to the image when your enter your listing in eBay just enter it
directly:

http://www.example.com/myEbayImages/somePix.jpg

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> http://www.example.com/myEbayImages/somePix.jpg

I would use all lower-case letters, though. Far less confusing down the
road, eh?

--
-bts

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> http://www.example.com/myEbayImages/somePix.jpg

> I would use all lower-case letters, though. Far less confusing down the
> road, eh?

In practice, yes, but for example purposes where I wanted to convey the
message and not a real path I used camel-caps...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> In practice, yes, but for example purposes where I wanted to convey
> the message and not a real path I used camel-caps...

Was that a camel joke?

http://www.masher.co.uk/Misc/Humour/...camel_joke.htm
or...
http://k75s.home.att.net/camel.html

(which I just typed up for you.)

--
-bts

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> In practice, yes, but for example purposes where I wanted to convey
>> the message and not a real path I used camel-caps...

> Was that a camel joke?

Nope, just a term for alternating capitalization in variable names in
programing.

> http://www.masher.co.uk/Misc/Humour/...camel_joke.htm

Good one!
> or...
> http://k75s.home.att.net/camel.html

An Oldie but Goodie.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

David Segall

RJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My web space on my ISP wants the first file FTP'd up to be named
>index.htm which I know is necessary to open your page. What I want to
>do is open up a utilitarian (ala-linux FTP sites) directory tree in
>which I can upload primarily .jpg images and be able to call them from
>eBay and the like. I know there are free-b image hosting sites but this
>has become sort of a challenge. I can make the HTML code make images
>available, but it won't re-index and add the new images on subsequent
>uploads. I've googled till I'm blue in the face and I can't seem to
>find any direction on this. Anybody?
>TIA, RJ

You can't do this without either using a program on the server or
preparing the images and the HTML pages before you upload them. I use
the freeware JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/> for the latter. JAlbum allows
you to maintain the directory trees on your computer, generate the web
content from templates and CSS that you choose, and upload the result
to your ISP. It is very flexible so, if you don't like any of their
output formats, you can write your own and it works under any
operating system.