Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python programs always open source?

Python programs always open source?

Guy Fawkes

Hi,

I was wondering if Python programs always need to include the source code
with the program itself. I'm asking this because I don't want my program to
be open-source and so far all the Python programs I've seen included the
source code.

Is it possible to make an executable with only bytecode?

Thanks in advance!

GF

sjdevnull@yahoo.com

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> I was wondering if Python programs always need to include the source code
> with the program itself. I'm asking this because I don't want my program to
> be open-source and so far all the Python programs I've seen included the
> source code.

You can include the source code but still not be open source; it's not
unusual for python programs to have licenses prohibiting the
modification or redistribution of the source code.

> Is it possible to make an executable with only bytecode?

You can import and use the .pyc files with a few caveats. They're
pretty trivial to disassemble though, so it's rarely worth it; just
make clear what's allowed (and what's not allowed) in your license.

Ben Finney

"Guy Fawkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I was wondering if Python programs always need to include the source
> code with the program itself. I'm asking this because I don't want
> my program to be open-source and so far all the Python programs I've
> seen included the source code.

You can license your own work to anyone you like, under any terms you
choose. The source code to a work is necessary for users to exercise a
free software license, but that doesn't mean that distributing source
code necessarily grants a free software license.

You're right that there is a great amount of Python code available
under free software licenses. No-one can force you to join us, but
you're welcome to.

--
\ "My girlfriend has a queen sized bed; I have a court jester |
`\ sized bed. It's red and green and has bells on it, and the ends |

Jay

Speaking of the bytecode, how does one create it?

Ben Finney wrote:
> "Guy Fawkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > I was wondering if Python programs always need to include the source
> > code with the program itself. I'm asking this because I don't want
> > my program to be open-source and so far all the Python programs I've
> > seen included the source code.

> You can license your own work to anyone you like, under any terms you
> choose. The source code to a work is necessary for users to exercise a
> free software license, but that doesn't mean that distributing source
> code necessarily grants a free software license.
>
> You're right that there is a great amount of Python code available
> under free software licenses. No-one can force you to join us, but
> you're welcome to.
>
> --
> \ "My girlfriend has a queen sized bed; I have a court jester |
> `\ sized bed. It's red and green and has bells on it, and the ends |
> _o__) curl up." -- Steven Wright |
> Ben Finney

Fredrik Lundh

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Speaking of the bytecode, how does one create it?

http://effbot.org/zone/python-compil...python-modules

</F>

Gerold Penz

Guy Fawkes schrieb:
> Is it possible to make an executable?

Hi GF!

http://www.python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/

Regards,
Gerold

Gerold Penz - bcom - Programmierung
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | http://gerold.bcom.at | http://sw3.at
Ehrliche, herzliche Begeisterung ist einer der
wirksamsten Erfolgsfaktoren. Dale Carnegie

GHUM

Guy Fawkes schrieb:

> I don't want my program to
> be open-source and so far all the Python programs I've seen included the
> source code.

That's one of the great freedoms of Python and its licence: You are
free to chose the licence for your product. No GPLish "you must be as
free as we", more BSDish: "Do what you want, do not come crying"

> Is it possible to make an executable with only bytecode?

I use py2exe with its "new" (~1 year) single file feature with great
success. I even succeeded in including a virtual static directory for a
webserver within that file.

To be exact, it is not really 1 file, but 2, as you often have to
distribute msvcr71.dll with it - except for those computers having
i.e. MS Office 11 installed, there it is allready present.

Combining py2exe's single file distributable and upx compression I
achieve fairly compact "just drop and use" applications without a real
need for installation. I do not care about people decompiling
(customers get the source code on request, if they are interested).
It would be possible - but those who have the time and knowledge to
dissect and decompile those upxed py2exed files and still make a profit
would probably not see a reason to buy my software anyway

Harald

Ben Finney

"GHUM" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> That's one of the great freedoms of Python and its licence: You are
> free to chose the licence for your product. No GPLish "you must be
> as free as we", more BSDish: "Do what you want, do not come crying"

This has nothing to do with the license of Python. Whether Python was
distributed under the GPL, BSD or Jack's Own Oddball License, the
copyright holder of Python has no say over what license you choose for
your own work.

So long as you're not distributing some or all of Python itself, or a
derivative work, the license for Python has no legal effect on what
license you choose for your own work.

--
\ "He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his |
`\ enemy from oppression." -- Thomas Paine |

Leif K-Brooks

Ben Finney wrote:
> So long as you're not distributing some or all of Python itself, or a
> derivative work, the license for Python has no legal effect on what
> license you choose for your own work.

How many Python programs use nothing from the standard library?

Steve Holden

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>
>>So long as you're not distributing some or all of Python itself, or a
>>derivative work, the license for Python has no legal effect on what
>>license you choose for your own work.

> How many Python programs use nothing from the standard library?

That doesn't matter either. The required copyright statements are
included in the Python interpreter. There is no reason to fear
distributing Python as a part of either open source or proprietary
works, and Guido framed the original license to allow precisely such
uses. Later versions have retained the same spirit.

The official license doesn't take a lot of understanding or legalese.
Try it:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.2/license/

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119