Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Ajax chat system - Active HTTP connection?

Ajax chat system - Active HTTP connection?

jason.m.ho@gmail.com

Hello!
I am trying to build an ajax chat system. Currently I have it so that
when you chat, you upload your message to the database, and each client
is polling that database to see if he/she has any new messages. The
problem with this is that I poll at 2 second intervals (since
connection is not active), and so its not as responsive as I'd like it
to be.

My question is, is an active HTTP connection possible? How did Meebo or
Gmail implement their ajax chat? Can someone point me to a better tool
for implementing an active-connection chat, rather than a poll-based
one?

Thank You!
- Jason